Rentals in Selden>Question Details

Sirtypesalot, Renter in Selden, NY

I rent house in Selden, NY and my landlord lives in Ohio. Don't think the rental is legal. It's a hi-ranch w/ another apt. downstairs. Who?

Asked by Sirtypesalot, Selden, NY Sat Feb 25, 2012

do I call? The backyard has an inground pool that is out of commission but poses a major hazard to my children as they could easily fall in. We've been here two years and the landlord hasn't done anything about it. Now we hear the house is going into foreclosure and proceedings began in January. How do I find out if the house I'm renting is legal and where do I report violations? Also, how long do we have before the foreclosure forces us to move and do I have to keep paying rent here now?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Selden

Answers

6
If it is going into foreclosure, you won't gain anything from it besides a headache...
Hi-ranch w/another apt. - it's possible that it's a legal two family.

Check with county clerk's office.

Was the pool there when you moved in???

You feel your children's safety is at risk, so what are you waiting for to move.
Regret to hear about the issues associated With your rental.
Sadly, clearly the landlord is out of time and headed to foreclosure.
A landlord can be in the country any where, so being in Ohio is mute.
It appears you waited too long to take action.

You check with the county records division on line to see what is permitted.

If you have a lease then month to month or for an extended period, then the Bank has to honor the
Lease till expiration, you can always negotiate with the bank after foreclosure about a sixty day
Stay.

Yes you will have to continue paying rent to the land lord.

Perry
You can check with the local buildings department regarding permits and to report any violations; also consider searching for a new home, you can check out http://www.mlsli.com
http://www.brookhaven.org/
The owner can live anywhere. The question is the apt downstains is leggal or not.