Rentals in Houston>Question Details

csnina753, Renter in Houston, TX

I'm trying to find a home in either Montrose, all of Heights, Midtown, Rice Village, or oak forest areas for around 1200 that accepts bully lg.

Asked by csnina753, Houston, TX Sat Oct 6, 2012

breed? I have two dogs,
1. 130 lbs. English Mastiff
2. 60 lbs. argentenian mastiff/pitbull terrier mix

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Houston

Many landlords won't even consider a dog, much less a large dog. I represented a client that had 3 dogs in a lease. We had a tough time finding a landlord who would even consider them. I had them write up a little story about the they are crated during the day, older, well behaved, non-destructive, etc. It included pictures. And a former landlord wrote a recommendation that mentioned the dogs. Be aware that a pit bull can be an automatic NO as the insurance company's usually won't allow some breeds including pit bulls.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
I just showed a nice little apartment in Montrose listed at $1200 ... it could barely acommodate the tenant, much less two large dogs. Even without the animals, you're looking at closer to $2000. The rental market is extremely competitive right now, especially in the locations you desire.

It's probably best that you prepare for a long commute ... you're more likely to find something in a suburban/rural location. I had considerable difficulty locating a property for a client with a 65 lb. golden retriever ... wound up in Copperfield at $1350 with a $500 non-refundable pet deposit.

We're good at what we do as Realtors ... but if the property isn't listed in our search resources, we can't be of much help. This is why I recommend that you look at sites such as Craigslist, in the local weekly newspapers, or in one of those "green sheets" found in many convenience stores. In your situation it's best to deal directly with the owners of the homes.

I'm a dog lover myself (have three), and sympathize with your circumstances ... but I don't see any way that I could be of assistance. I wish you and the dogs well.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Your search will be very difficult in the areas of interest. Even at $1300 there is not much available and with the addition of the two large dogs. you have an almost impossible situation.
You would be more successful looking outside of Loop 610.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Would i have a better chance if I raised my limit to 1300?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
This is a challenge on two fronts ... obviously the dogs, but also your price point. $1200 won't get you much in any of the areas you seek. I suggest that you look on Craigslist, or in those local throwaway weeklies. You'd probably have better luck speaking directly with the property owner. If you do find something, be prepared to pay a substantial pet deposit ... in your case, $1000 would not be out of the question. Best of luck ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012