Rentals in Columbus>Question Details

Pam, Renter in Columbus, GA

I'm looking to rent a 2 - 3 bdrm house in this district or Jordon and having trouble finding a house. the realtors I go to are no help. any?

Asked by Pam, Columbus, GA Thu Jan 12, 2012

suggestions? They don't seem to care if they rent the property or not. How do I contact private rentals? I have a stable, more then adequate income. Thanks, Pamela Grissom

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Columbus

Answers

5
In this area the RE/MAX offices allow their agents to manage properties. Most other companies have a rental dept. that manages properties. The REALTORS that are also property managers will help you with the properties they manage and usually will make a phone call or two on your behalf or search your criteria, print out a list and give you advise where to go in order to see the particular property that you are interested in.

Rarely, will they take you in their car and show you properties the way they do when you are buying. I have offered that service to renters before but they just are not willing to pay for the services and most REALTORS cannot afford to give their services away for free because there is a cost involved in showing properties.

I would be willing to offer you some limited assistance. Give me a call and we can discuss further your situation and determine how I can help.

Charmaine Crabb
Associate Broker, Property Mgr.
RE/MAX Champions
706-392-6116
ckcrabb@gmail.com
Our rental department would love to help you, please contact Fred Green 706-653-1400, Good Luck Donnie Baggett Sales Agent
I disagree that Realtors don't rent property. Most property managers are Realtors and many, many real estate agents earn commissions on a regular basis through rentals.

I do agree that there is very little incentive sometimes to working with tenants. With that said, if you are a qualified tenant, with good references, good income, no credit or criminal issues and no eviction history, make sure to let a Realtor know how well qualified you are and how soon you are looking to move in.

I am SURE that you will find a great Realtor that will work as hard for you as he would for a sale. Because it can be a bit tedious AND there are many UNqualified tenants looking for rentals, I make sure to sort of pre-qualify any prospective tenants before I agree to work with them. When this is done, it is typically a quick and painless process ending with a quick commission and a happy client that will send you referrals and potentially be a buyer one day.

Pam, I do recommend you contact a few property management companies as they might have properties you may not have found listed yet or know other offices that have available rentals they can refer you to.

You can also post what you are looking for on a place like craigslist.com and see what type of replies you get from potential owners of rental property or property managers looking to rent what they have. Some don't like this approach as it can lead to some unwanted emails (spam). I'm a fan of CL.

There is a 'housing wanted' tab under 'housing' on CL. Just another idea if you decide you want to work to find a place on your own.

Best of Luck
Please call me. I have a great 3 bd rental becoming available in the next week. 706-358-3266. Thanks!
-Zach Jiles, Realtor
Remax Champions
You can find rentals in Columbus, GA and the surrounding area online: http://www.columbusgarentals.com
Since Realtors usually get paid by the sellers, there is not much incentive for a Realtor to work with renters -- the landlord rarely pays an agent when they bring them a tenant. Therefore, many Realtors will charge a one-time fee (usually $100-$300) to help renters find a rental property. Hope this has helped!
Margot, I pay a $50 fee to agents that show the property to a person that signs a lease. It is easy to pick up the key at my office and I have lockboxes on some of my rentals when they become vacant. Would love for you to help me get these rented.
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012