Rentals in San Jose>Question Details

Jbo2120, Other/Just Looking in San Jose, CA

I'm looking to relocate to the SF Bay Area, closer to San Jose. I'm a 24 year old male with a decent income looking for a fun, safe

Asked by Jbo2120, San Jose, CA Thu Jan 7, 2010

neighborhood. I am trying to rent a one bedroom or studio apartment and I have $800-$1400 to spend per month on rent. Can anyone give me advice on good neighborhoods? Proximity to public transportation is crucial, but I do not mind a 30-45 minute commute to work (in downtown San Jose). Thanks!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in San Jose

Answers

7
Try Technology drive, San Jose, CA near the airport. Many beginning professionals prefer that area.
Downtown near San Jose State, or Mountain View near Google have fun filled apts.....
Determine the area you can look in based on your place of business and available public transportation. Locate residence close to the transportation access and make certain you've services at hand. Santa Clara Valley Transit(VTA), http://www.vta.org/, has route/schedule information. There are some comfortable neighborhoods close to downtown, many a short commute.

Of course http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ is the place to search. Your expectations of price are square with the market. The trailing link is to current rentals on craigslist <$1400. That's a dynamic link so the content changes.

If you're willing to commute it might be best to grab a clean, safe place downtown or very close and then take the time to learn the more distant options - there are a LOT.
The down town area has a lot of availability for one bedroom apartments the last time I looked there were around 348 rentals for one bds with the median rent around $1050 for an average of 752 sq ft.

If your'e looking for luxury apartments you may want to check out the 101 San Fernando complex
101 E. San Fernando St. Ste. 100 San Jose, CA 95112

I find Yelp to be helpful.

Hi jbo2120, I would submit to you that Campbell is an excellent choice as well! Fun, Safe and near all the trans hubs. Union Ave, feeds into The Pruneyard where you will find restaurants, bars , movies, grocery etc..

In walking distance to Cal Train Downtown Campbell boast more restaurants, bars and shops. The Campbell Community Center is nearby!

Los Gatos Rents are a bit higher, however there are several apartment complexes and light rail is still available.

I can be found enjoying any number of these locations on weekends if you want to meet up sometime.

A Pre-Welcome to San Jose! There is a link on my website for crime reports on the left too..links section

Michael
http://www.MichaelRobertshomes.com
As far as safety, your best source of information is the local police department, why not visit and ask all your questions--you'll be happy to have heard all firsthand--as far as neighborhoods, do some of your own homework first--visit an area(s) more than once and different times of day and see if you get a sense of belonging and decide if your comfort level can be reached--after all opinions are just that and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another--then take it from there.

Anna
I forgot to add if you stay here in downtown you will have a lot to do, there are plenty of good restaurants on santa clara street. Also there are a lot of bars/ clubs to go to. Another good place is santana row. its up scale. Its relatively close to downtown. Where as it wont be walking distances but not more than a 5 minute drive.
I think you have a good chance to get right here in downtown san jose. There are good parts of downtown such as naglee park, japan town. There are plent of one bed rooms to rent. There are some streets that are a little more rough but if you stay in thos two you should be fine. I don't think there is a need to rent farther away and commute.