Rentals in Saint Louis>Question Details

Morris.tonya, Renter in Saint Louis, MO

I'm interested in a property that is listed for rent on trulia but there is no listing agent, so I sent an email and received a response from

Asked by Morris.tonya, Saint Louis, MO Mon Jun 20, 2011

someone from London claiming to be the owner and I a little leery about this how can I find out is this is real or if it is a scam?

Answers

6
SCAM!!!! Don't send money or information to anyone. Hire an agent to represent you and let them find you a property through the MLS. Most often the agents fee will be paid by the owner of the property. There are so many scams going right now and people getting ripped off that it's almost worth paying any rental agent a fee yourself if you have to. Not trying to scare you but, unfortunately it's true.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 20, 2011
I would recommend contacting a realtor that you know, love and trust and have them research the owner of the property through the tax records and on line. Even if you have to pay a fee to your realtor to represent you, should you be interested in the property, it will be well worth it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 20, 2011
In my opinion this is a scam. The same thing has been happening on Craig's List. If the price for rent is too good to be true, then it probably IS! Report this to Trulia. Do not wire any funds to any bank account, especially an over seas bank account. And do check the county tax assessor or city tax assessor to verify who owns the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 20, 2011
Hi Tonya. There have been numerous scam artists doing this on properties around St. Louis. Do not wire them any money. The best thing to do is have a real estate agent check the property for you to verify it is for rent or sale or both and who the contact people really are. Typically, they are not for rent but for sale. This happened to one of my listings numerous times. I hope that's helpful to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 20, 2011
Hi, This sounds like a very common scam. In fact this happened to a listing I had. The home was for sale but someone from overseas turned it into a rental listing on Craigslist. Thye basically said they had to relocate for work and have left the door open. Any prospective tenant can go and have a look and if they like it send a check to them overseas and they will mail the keys. Whatever you do, only do business with someone that you can meet in person.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Consider flagging the property and or directly contacting Trulia's customer service department with the information--keep in mind that scams do exist and you are correct in being hesitant; you can also check local public records for an owner's name, or ask any local agent to verify the ownership.