Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Meeches Peac…, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

I'm having no luck finding a rental within my budget. Credit is poor and I have a 9 and 7 year old that have lived in Suburbia their whole lives.

Asked by Meeches Peaches, Los Angeles, CA Mon Aug 6, 2012

I can't imagine that it comes down to moving them and myself to a gang and drug infested neighborhood and just say to heck with their lives after investing so much in myself and them, to fall on hard times like this. Can ANYONE, a rental agent I suppose, help me? I need a nice, understanding landlord whole overlook my bad credit, and recognize that at 41, if I haven't been evicted by now, it's because being evicted isn't my style, even if I AM behind on credit card payments and whatnot. I am focused on the 15 or so square block radius of North West Inglewood area, west of Enterprise, North of Venice Way, but it seems even with lower rents, most the buildings are managed by monolithic corporate management companies that have ZERO sense of humanity, can't be reasoned with and see you as a number only. Any help? Are their agents who well help me find something without charging me? Times are VERY tough.

Answers

3
Carmen Hill’s answer
I am a real estate broker and leasing agent but I am also the director of a Harambee Housing & Information Program that may be able to assist you. What do you consider an affordable rent? We do cover the Inglewood area. Walk-in hours for housing assistance Tuesdays from 4 to 7 PM at KRST Unity Center -- 7825 S Western Av, LA/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
It appears that your priority is paying your rent. You want to live in a safe area for you and your children. See if you can get someone to co-sign on a rental agreement. Or somethimes landlords with concern an application with poor credit if you volunteer to pay the 1st month rent and 2 month security deposit. By law landlords cannot receive more that 2 month security deposit. Additionally volunteer to give 12 months copies of paid utilities or private school monthly (if paid on time). Give landlord some record of debts paid on time. Do not give up search in safe areas hopefully something will show up. Hope ideas are helpful and your not the only one in this situation. the unemployment rate in CA is 9.8%.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
Hi, Meeches

I'm so sorry to hear youre having problems finding the right rental. I am very experienced in leasing and my suggestion is to seek out a new home in an apartment owned by a very large company like Holland Residential or UDR. These companies have lower security deposits and have more lenient rules for credit issues. This is your best bet. If you're not familiar with those companies, google them to get an idea of the type of company. There are a handful of them throughout LA. Hope this helps and wish you well!