Rentals in New York>Question Details

Rodrigo, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I'm foreigner and full time student but I do not have proof of income in the US so would it be possible to pay for the whole rental period in

Asked by Rodrigo, New York, NY Fri Jul 6, 2012


0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Help the community by answering this question:



in most cases that is not a problem.

I specialize in helping people from all around the world move to NYC. Feel free to contact me if you would like me to answer any further questions or help you find an apartment in the city.


Mark Tabiszewski | Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
250 Park Avenue South 11th Floor | New York, NY 10003
M +1(646)427.5577

Languages: English, French, German, Polish, Dutch, Italian and Spanish

As Manhattan's real estate leaders we will find more New Yorkers better homes then anyone else!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
Yes if you don't have proof most landlord require prepayment, i work with some flexible labndlords, give me a call, 718.791.5427
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
Yes, I am a full time student, freelancer and a US citizen (thats the sucky part) lol! if you find someone to work with you than of course you can. NEVER EVER PAY WITH CASH. use a money order or check that way you have proof of the amount paid. also do a contract. there are many online places that create legal bond contract agreements for different states. This is what i did as well.

good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Yep, cash in full? Anytime!

Call me : Joan, 917 365 5951
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
This generally works. Cash is always King!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 8, 2012
I just rented out an apt to one with exactly the same scenario. Call me @ 917.656.8112 so I can get you an apt by focusing on landlords that will approve this situation.

Warmest regards,

Zita Alvarez Lo
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Bus 212-350-2825
Cell 917-656-8112

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 7, 2012
Much will depend on the individual landlord; consider working with an aent of your own...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 7, 2012
This is a good way to go. While not all landlords will accept this, many will. If you are looking in Queens feel free to contact my office.

Jacques Ambron CBR CRB SFR

Madeleine Realty Ltd.
108-23 Ascan Ave
Forest Hills, New York 11375
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 7, 2012
My advice would be to get a broker and focus on condo units. The building itself probably will have very little to say about it (versus co-ops and rental buildings) and I have seen several of my own clients who own condos to rent as investments accept this arrangement. Best of luck - please call me if you need more info.
Charlie Summers Bellmarc 917-376-1648
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
I can help you with that. Please call me on 646.469.4462
Faye Samim
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
I know specific landlords that will be happy to take 1 years rent upfront, I have done many deals this way.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Yes, that might work out for you, although I have known landlords who have refused 1 years' rent paid in full at outset.

Some landlords will not work with you because there are risks other than the risk of your not paying rent. If you aren't earning money, you can't be sued for extensive structural damage, for example. Some landlords simply will not rent to students.

If you have a family member who will serve as guarantor, that would be a big help. If not, there is still hope but your apartment search will be a little more difficult.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York, NY
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Rodrigo, it depends on the type of building. There are rent stabilized buildings that are not allowed to take future rent and there are prime lease rentals, condos and coops that can.

You can also use a service called Insurent. They charge approximately one month rent to insure your rent payment. The one issue is there are only certain buildings that accept this program. (both rent stabilized and others).

I can help you find a rental and I also have a studio rental on the upper east side I can lease with an upfront payment for someone without a credit history. The last tenant did not have a US credit history, made upfront payments and lived in the apartment for 2 years before moving to Virginia last week.

Here's a link to that apartment and feel free to call me to assist in finding others.…

Arthur "Ungie" Golden
Prudential Douglas Elliman | 1995 Broadway, 4th Fl | New York, NY 10023
C: 212.866.8717 | P: 212.712.6078 | F: 646.497.5476 | E:
Commercial/Residential Sales and Leasing Services
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012

Whatever arrangements for rental payment will be between you and your landlord and every landlord will have different requirements.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012

My name is Mark Tabiszewski and I am with Citi-Habitats. Citi Habitats has helped many foreign students with rental needs.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions or assist you finding a home in NYC for the duration of your studies.


Mark Tabiszewski | Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
250 Park Avenue South 11th Floor | New York, NY 10003
P +1(212)685.7777 x 273
M +1(646)427.5577
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hello Rodrigo,

It pretty much depends on which building or apartment you will be applying for.

Most buildings that are rent stabilized, can't take more than one month rent from you, but when you are renting in Condominiums, that is absolutely possible and up to you.

I can help you with that.

Please contact me at my info below:

Warmest Regards,

Raoul Sodogandji
Member of ELITE
Licensed Salesperson

(o): 212.252.8772 (EXT.782)
(c): 347.993.8333

" It is common in all businesses that the level of customer service, is usually based on income generated from that service given; which is fairly unfair to those who need just the same service of selling, buying or renting in New York City.

That's one of the reasons why we came up with ELITE. It is the highest standard level of same service given from a $2000 rental to a $40 Millions sale, and instead of treating the customers differently, we've decided to give them the ELITE service.

Let's help you with our services, no matter your budget, what you are selling or want to buy, we will give you and your referrals the same best experience ever lived. "
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer