Rentals in 94121>Question Details

klynn, Renter in Miami, FL

I'm divorced moving from Dallas to San Francisco with 4th grader. Name three kid friendly areas that have great public and/or private schools?

Asked by klynn, Miami, FL Sun May 5, 2013

I own a home in NC concerned about rent in SF and mortgage in NC. I haven't had problems renting it out but I'm considering remodeling to eventually sell. I'm in the process of moving to San Francisco and can't rely on rental income. Realistically wondering the max I can expect to approximately pay (rent) in a decent area for 2bed, 1.5-2 bath with min 1000-1200sq ft?

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in 94121

Answers

4
A lot. Check craigslist before you make a definite decision to move here. Below is the search for 2bdrms in SF: (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/apa/sfc?zoomToPosting=&am…) We're experiencing yet another tech boom and rents and housing prices are through the roof right now. Also, as Cassandra said, getting your 4th grader into school might be much more difficult than you think. We have friends with kids that are often complaining on facebook about their school travails. Also, know that the listings on craigslist that look especially out of line with the average are likely scams. There are also horrid garage conversions that are oversold by landlords with a flair for the bs and there are also bedbugs in larger apartment buildings. You can put any address into this site to see if the building has been reported: http://www.bedbugregistry.com/ Now is not a great time to move to SF. Use craigslist to check areas like Berkeley, Oakland, Albany, El Cerrito, San Mateo, San Bruno, Burlingame, Millbrae, San Ramon, etc. You may find something more affordable.
Thanks to all of you for the insightful information. I have a lot to do. This truly helps me prepare for my move.
Check out http://www.greatschools.com

within San Francisco:

Noe Valley- both public and private schools in this neighborhood are great. Rents are high in this neighborhood. It is true currently the public schools are not based off an address and some schools (usually the desirable ones) are lottery based. Charter schools are also popular. Parents (and I am one of them) will drive all over the city if they can get their kid into the right school regardless of where they live.

If you would consider the peninsula (San Mateo County) look into the Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont or Foster City School districts. Pacifica, which is on the coast, is also known for having good schools and also more affordable rents and is extremely family oriented.

For rents, check Craigslist for rates. You are probably looking at $2000-4200 for 2 beds depending on location and amenities (like parking).
Educate yourself about the school lottery before you move out here/ Your school won't be determined by where you live. You may want to consider east bay.