Rentals in Macon County>Question Details

Michelle, Renter in Macon County, NC

I live in the basement apartment of a house that only has one power meter. The people upstairs are responsible for the power being in their name.

Asked by Michelle, Macon County, NC Fri May 13, 2011

They have not paid their half of the power bill so it was cut off on Tuesday. I had the power turned on in my name on Wednesday and flipped the breakers off for upstairs. I told the neighbors that I would need a deposit before flipping them back on. The landlord called me and told me to flip them on and would be responsible if they did not pay the deposit by Monday. This is also the date he gave them to catch up all their behind rent. I agreed to do this with the exception of the breaker for the a/c unit. The landlord was fine with that until today. He called me at work and told me that if I didn't flip on the breaker that they would call the law and I would be arrested. I don't know what my rights are and don't want to go to jail because I take care of my disabled mother. What are my options? thank you

Answers

1
Arrested for what? Not giving your neighbors free electricity? I'd like to see the face of the cops when they showed up to arrest you.

It's probably too late to address the issue this week, but on Monday call 1-800-458-6817. It's the number for Legal Aide in Macon County