Rentals in Philadelphia>Question Details

debra.leonar…, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

I live in an apartment building in west philadelphia that is up for sherrifs sale and was advised NOT to pay rent. is this correct?

Asked by debra.leonardi, Philadelphia, PA Wed Jul 11, 2012

Answers

5
Who advised you on this? A friend, neighbor, family or what? There is no free lunch, you rent so you need to pay rent. Why would you think you get a free ride?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
there is never a free ride which I know. The apartment building went up for sherrrif sale in May and was advise along with other tennants not to pay. Just trying to figure out if this is correct.
Flag Wed Jul 11, 2012
This is a fairly common question that renters have when their apartment building faces foreclosure. In short, you still have a contractual obligation to pay rent In exchange for the living space. Refusing to pay rent based on a pending foreclosure could have a negative affect on your credit score. You'll need to keep your credit score in good standing if you plan to move to another apartment after the sheriff sale.

Casey Pradelli
Prudential Fox & Roach
Haverford Station
Direct: 610.513.7272
Office: 610.649.7410
YES, IT IS BUT SAVE UR MONEY BECAUSE THEY CAN CLOSED THAT APARTMENT DOWN AT ANY MIN, THAT JUST HAPPEN TO MY FRIEND THEY PUT HER OUT AND HER KIDS,
I question weather the City of Philadelphia is going to put your rent into an escrow account. I refer all this type of questions to TURN at Ourturn.net or call them at 215-940-3900. My best guess is they will tell you 1)come in for class and 2)refer you to one of their housing councilors.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
215-725-5700X49
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
This is incorrect. While you occupy the residence and the owners are compliant with maitenance you may not withhold rent simply because the building is being sold. After consulting City of Phila-you may put rent into escrow with city of Phila and then distribute it to either new owners or bank if they ask for it after or before the sale. An attorney may give you more advice.
Thank you for your response. I am actually asking this question for my daughter who was advise along with other tennants in the appartment building to stop paying rent. I being of the age I am didn't think this sounded right even thou she told me she got this advise from a lawyer. Being a young person just starting out renting I am trying to help her in getting a correct answer to her question.
Flag Wed Jul 11, 2012