Rentals in Pacific Heights>Question Details

Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

I live in a really old building, so I recognize that the walls are thin by nature but my upstairs neighbors are SO loud. I've already talked to them..

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Tue Jan 15, 2013

and they said they would get a rug. Is there anything else I can do? I can hear them talking, walking and all of their music (which is awful by the way).

Suggestions?

Answers

2
Elizabeth Bolton’s answer
Hi Alison ~ Do you keep the radio or tv on? If you're in total silence it's all the more likely that you'll hear your neighbors' noise. Maybe you could find some music or show that isn't too awful to have on in the background. It's a tough one - and by no means is the age of the building the determining factor - I've lived in old buildings where very little noise carried and in another where I finally realized the thundering over my head was the neighbors' cat.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, it sounds like they are juggling bowling balls when they walk. I don't have a TV in my bedroom, but I am playing music often enough (I lived above the garage so it's fine), to block a lot of it out. I am also using ear plugs at night, it's just frustrating!
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
Hi Alison, Have you considered soundproofing?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
I would love that, but I doubt my landlord would go for it. I am a renter. I feel like I will have to live with earplugs in forever :(
Flag Tue Jan 15, 2013