Rentals in Portland>Question Details

fordlaura, Renter in Portland, OR

I just received my Social Security Disability , where can I find a decent place to live on a limited income

Asked by fordlaura, Portland, OR Mon Jun 11, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Portland

Help the community by answering this question:


Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner ~ Exclusive Buyers Agent ~ ABR, CEBA’s answer
Where are you living now? Where were you living before you received you SS? I'm not sure real estate agents would be able to give you direct advice since this is a question that would be better addressed by social services and housing advocates for low-income/fixed income residents.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
That is difficult in Portland right now. If you are open to roommates, try checking the classified ads in the Oregonian, Willamette Week, Mercury and Portland Tribune.

Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
Margery is right about affordability. Can you get any other help with income some of the counties have much better programs than Multnomah. Good luck. Tom Inglesby
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
that's a tough one, especially in Portland right now where we have one of the highest rental rates in the nation. Obviously if you have to be in Portland, I would start for the outskirts. If you can move out of Multnomah County then try Clackamas, Marion, Yamhill or Washington. Also check with your local services for that county and see if there's any kind of low income housing you'd qualify for. Without knowing more about where you want to be near, its hard to answer. But the good news is, a landlord will likely like the fact that you're have a secure income even if its lower... it is consistent!
best to you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer