Rentals in Scottsdale>Question Details

Jennifer Sco…, Renter in Gilbert, AZ

I just got a section 8 housing voucher. I am wondering where I can obtain a list of participating properties in my city.

Asked by Jennifer Scott, Gilbert, AZ Mon May 9, 2011

I have searched under voucher programs for my city and state (Scottsdale, Az) and under apartment participating in section 8 voucher program, etc. However, I just keep getting lists of regular priced apartments that are not on the program. Isn't there a way to obtain some sort of list to find out which apartments and or homes participate so that I can do my research before I go running all over town being told "No we don't accept vouchers." I only have thirty days to find a place. help

Answers

4
I agree Jennifer I am in the same situation. I need help finding a place and time is running out I am unsure what to do now at this point.
Jennifer Scott

Dear Jennifer:

Under section 8 you can select from private apartments, if the landlord agrees to the section 8 requirements or go to section 8 prequalifified apartments.

There will be less pre qualified apartments available, especially in Scottsdale.

Your Section 8 contact can give you a list of landlords that have registered with them. They may not be any less expensive than private apartments however.

Applicants may apply for a Section 8 housing voucher at any county or city housing authority office in their state, and use it anywhere statewide once they receive it. However, priority for vouchers is often reserved for those who reside in the service area of that housing authority.

"In many localities, the PHA waiting lists for Section 8 vouchers may be thousands of families long, waits of three to six years to access vouchers is common, and many lists are closed to new applicants. When wait lists are briefly opened (often for just five days), which may occur as little as once every seven years, there can be as many as 100,000 applicants for 10,000 spots on the waitlist, with spots being awarded on the basis of weighted or non-weighted lotteries, with priority sometimes given to local residents, the disabled, veterans, and the elderly.[9][10] There is no guarantee that anyone will ever receive a spot on the waiting list."...note per Wikepedia.

Your Realtor can show you a list of apartments to consider.

Jeff Masich
HomeSmart
Scottsdale
Web Reference: http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
Landlords will usually contact section 8 and put ther properties on the list that does not mean they are less money you have to match your voucher to an affordable property any good agent can narrow down the area you are looking for and call each listing to speak the mgmt or owner on acceptability before going to look.
Jerry Seeger
You should have been assigned a contact in section 8 who in the can provide you with a list there are also many MLS listed rentals that will accept a section 8 tenant are you planning on working with an agent..
Jerry Seeger West USA Realty Revelation
what is mls listed rentals?
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014