Rentals in 10003>Question Details

KSL, Home Buyer in 10003

I just found out that my landlord was showing the apartment without giving me the proper 24hours notice.

Asked by KSL, 10003 Wed May 11, 2011

My landlord has been showing my apartment over the past month. I had informed him of my plans to turn the keys over to him but I just found out that 2 days prior to my official move out, a showing happened without me receiving the appropriate 24 hours notice. In addition, when I returned the morning of the move out to do a final check of the apartment, I noticed the door was not locked as I had left it. I am really upset because, although I've moved out, my space feels totally violated. Furthermore, I think my landlord will try to hold my security deposit if not worse. I would like to use this information to remind him that he's trespassed more than once.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 10003

Answers

7
Usually, it is being abided by the law that landlords need to provide a specific amount of notice (usually 24 hours) before entering a rental unit. Landlords can usually enter on shorter notice if it is impracticable to provide the required amount of notice. Just check your lease agreement to clarify what rights the landlord had to start showing your apartment before your move-out date.
Hello kSL,
You signed a lease with the landlord and that lease will state in detail how many days in advance
You will show your apartment so it would be rented. You should check that lease. as far as 24 hrs notice, the terms of the showing are usually agreed upon or discussed with the management of the building. The lease also states that you left a security and it is a deposit for any mess left behind in the apartment.In case you leave the apartment a mess, or in any bad condition' paint the walls purple then he has the Right to keep the security deposit.
If you have any major concerns, you should ask the management of the building and they may have
A very good explanation.
Good Luck
Fern Hamberger
Asso Broker
646-660-0060
Corcoran
you should review your lease agreement to clarify what rights the landlord had to start showing your apartment before your move-out date. I assumed you did not move out earlier your lease expiration date - if this is the case and nothing is broken, etc, the landlord should return your deposit.
Most likely the language in the lease you singed indicates that the landlord has the right to access your apartment prior to you vacating it in order to get it rented. Although he could have gone about things differently, I don't believe there was any legal violations that occured. I'm not sure why you think he will hold your security deposit.
Hi, there's nothing worse then feeling like you were taken advantage of and violated. I agree with the other answer, if nothing is missing and you weren't harmed then after you get your security move on. I wouldn't raise any hell until you have your security back if that's what you plan to do.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Hi KSL. You make no mention as to having a decent relationship with your landlord. I can presume it was at the least cordial. You're out and since you've not mentioned if anything was missing, get over it and move on with your life. What makes you think he will hold you security?
See links for possible helpful information, for any needed legal advice, do consult with an attorney.
http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureaus/real_estate_finance/pdfs/tenant…
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/new_york/ren…