Rentals in Fort Collins>Question Details

Kelly, Renter in Fort Collins, CO

I have two pitbulls....does Anyone in this town rent to people with pits? They are sweet, calm and well trained.

Asked by Kelly, Fort Collins, CO Tue Mar 12, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3110461600-1335-W-Elizabeth-St-…

Answers

5
Encumbered with not one but two pit bulls creates a REAL problem.
If you chooose these dogs to be your companions, then this is a problem of your creation.
Some folks, by no choice of their own, inherit such situations. For these there must be compassion.
-
You need to chat with a local, multi-dimensional real estate professional and get on track to BUYING a single family home. They can assesss your situation and direct you to a lender who has a track record of solutions delviered on time, under budget and without all the drama. Yes, you will need to exhibit the deispline to qualify for a morgage. Your situation dictates the time required.
-
Now, take great care not to create any disturbance where you now live. That could prove catostrophic.
That could be a tough one. My best advice is to lead with that fact, "I have 2 Pit Bulls", and you may find the Elephant in the room somewhat vanishes. Some landlords are breed specific, others are simply weight specific in their restrictions.

Best of Luck,

Andy Burnett
ERA
andy@aburnettrealty.com
970-488-9391
The search will be difficult-but keep looking. I am sure someone will be open to it.
I agree with Mr. Dougherty. It's not the dog per se that's the issue, it's also the lawsuit liability. In some states, e.g. Maryland and Minnesota, the landlord will most often be sued for any bite by a "dangerous breed" dog, regardless of how guilty or innocent the landlord is. Obtaining special "riders" on your landlord policies can be expensive for such breeds. You can rent to 100 pit bull owners, but one bite can put you out business. There is little defense available to the landlord.
I'm sure there are people who rent to owners of pit bulls, but they will be relatively few and far between. Unfortunately, many insurance companies put provisions in their policies for homes that the home cannot have a certain breed or breeds of dogs living in the home. Pit bulls are typically one of those breeds, along with Dobermans and sometimes German Shepherds. This is because those types of dogs (and others) are statistically proven to be more prone to bite or otherwise attack humans and animals than other, similar dogs.

It's an unfortunate fact, and I know that, as a landlord, I won't risk losing my insurance over a tenant having a specific type of dog, especially when there is such an overabundance of renters out there. I would also avoid Wellington, as i believe that the town there has a ban on Pit Bulls.

Best of luck to you.