Rentals in Medford>Question Details

Glenn Becker, Renter in Medford, MA

I have one 18-year old cat & based on my experience so far, this really limits my rental choices. Is there a good way to negotiate this?

Asked by Glenn Becker, Medford, MA Sun Jul 28, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Medford

Answers

5
Hello Glenn,

Unfortunately it is true that pets can limit your rental choices. Some owners will not take either a dog or a cat based on a past bad experience with either animal. Sometimes the owner can not take any pets based on allergies. This can be an arbitrarily made decision by the owner and as a renter it can be painful to be barred from a property based on your furry friend. Try to seek out at pet loving broker that will have knowledge of the best cat friendly places.

Based on my experience in the New York city market it is always best to offer up full disclosure on your pets. Many rental clients that have pets put together a packet to present to the landlord. The packet can include a picture, bio, and additional details that present why your pet will not negatively impact the property. Examples of this would be certain breed benefits such as if your cat is a hypoallergenic breed like a Balinese, or if it were a dog perhaps it is a highly trained service dog or a docile breed. Also important is to detail your care of the animal so in the case of dogs you might want to include that the dog is out at doggie daycare on weekdays or with a dog-walker a certain number of days during the week.

Your cat is older so that is an example of a benefit that you would want to present (hopefully the landlord will perceive that your cat is not as frisky and mischievous as a kitten might be). Best of luck to you and remember to never try to downplay or hide the fact that you have a pet. I have seen terrible examples of pet disputes (http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/07/22/husband-of-town-broke…) and it is never worth the hassle! Live in peace with a landlord that accepts or better yet likes your cat.
Hi, 2B/1B condo available for rent September 1, 2014. Please call 781-218-9037.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 29, 2014
Pets complicate a rental.
I would use a local rental professional to save time and money and also to make sure you don't miss a great rental.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Yes, I have been very successful in negotiating a cat; med or large breed dogs are Much harder... But a mature, healthy, spayed/neutured cat WITH veterinary records available (if necessary) .. I can often succeed at having landlord(s) meet me in an acceptable compromise to allow you your cat. But first an Important rule here: Do NOT lie or conceal the fact that you are bringing your pet into a rental arrangement. NEVER do this... it is easy & almost assured that the pet will be discovered & then it is VERY probable that there will be a HUGE dispute. And you will be dealing from a position of Weakness and not strength. Serious weakness. be honest about AND be confident too. Your rental choices will definately be less with a pet.. but NOT as few as most inexperienced or "Joe Shmoe" agents / leasing reps will have you think. Their robotic "scripted answer" is no.. that is what is drilled into their heads when trained. so many agents in my area of the northeast are not really savvy and/or have their brains 'shrink-wrapped' during their training & when they cut their teeth in the industry. go around & beyond them.. they will absolutely limit you in your plan & usually will give you disappointment...and will also likely react abruptly to you & blurt out "well I told you anyways" when you say you're disappointed. Don't deal with shrink-wrapped real estate people.
I have several different approaches..never just one standard strategy...as landlords/properties/and situations always differ. Also I have had Dozens of experiences where owners blurted out "no" when their agents or family members just quickly asked them if the prospective tenant could bring their pet. Of course the landlord is probably going to say no in that setting & case. They didn't speak to seasoned, polished professional..who is prepared with what & how to say it.. so he forms a different image than the one blurted out by an agent (on his side of the transaction) that probably doesn't care if its a yes or no outcome. I have had many that where "loosened up" and gently nudged to being more open-minded. One of the Biggest differences I have observed is the person attempting the negotiation needs to Almost Always be Very experienced and talented at their tact and strategy moving this forward. If this is not the case...the percentage of "No's" you get skyrockets instantly. "No" is very often not always a definitive..Ultimatum "NO".. I have seen it become "Ok" Many times. Of course.. not Always though...& there may be a string of No's you hit without having some success. Unless you have no time (or have no resilience)..don't give up so easily.
!!!-Work with someone that is Very good at negotiating AND has done this Not once but Multiple times before-!!! Pay them a fee for their skill & successful talents & move forward with it. A fee is just ONE time only.. and a tenant gets to enjoy month after month, year after year.. the success that the skilled pro negotiated on their behalf. Always be willing to think outside the narrow Boundries!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 13, 2013
Cats are accepted at Old Medford High Condo in Medford, MA.

Condo available to rent 8-29-2014,

William
medfordsquare@gmail.com
781.218.9037