Rentals in Ossining>Question Details

Taliba, Renter in New Rochelle, NY

I have a school age child 8th grade and myself. I am looking for a 2 or 1 bed rm apartment. I do not want to pay a brokers fee.

Asked by Taliba, New Rochelle, NY Thu Aug 25, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Ossining

Answers

13
If you are working with an agent in Westchester County and the listing is on the MLS, the commission is paid via the owner of the unit not the prospective tenant. You, the tenant, would only be required to pay a broker fee if the listing was an exclusive with that office and they did not wish to publish on the MLS. Please contact me with any further questions regarding the rental process. I will help in any way I can.
If you don't want to pay a brokers fee, you should look on Craiglist or your local newspaper.

I'm not sure about NY, but in Connecticut, if you're renting an apartment and it's an MLS listed property, the landlord pays the brokers fee. If it's the same in NY then you should try and find a local Realtor and ask them to look for MLS listed apartments for you and start searching!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 25, 2011
If you don't want to work with an agent, check local print media for by owner rentals--always verify ownership before exchanging any money; word of mouth, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 25, 2011
I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business; you don’t sit at a table in a restaurant to read the menu without actually buying food at some point. It’s the same concept: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. Prepare yourself with three fundamentals: amenities, location, and price.

Know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Don’t think a real estate agent in Brooklyn can find you an apartment in Queens, or vice versa. Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND an AGENT” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment. TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, now you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step ahead of a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Actually, that is correct in every which way not just in theory. It's per the WPAR and EAMLS. Is there any other rule book we should be following?

So what your saying is that these listing agents are charging their clients directly for a full commission, listing the properties on the mls, "intending" to cooperate with other agents per the standard listing agreement between agent/seller, I assume fabricating a split on the mls which will never occur...then having the tenant pay an additional half/month on the side?

mmmm I guess we all just handle our business differently.
In theory that is correct Kevin, but that is not always how it works out. I have found the majority of the time agents working for the property owners are asking the potential renters to pay their agent. It actually works very nicely, and, it has nothing at all to do with the price of the rental. Everything is negotiable!

DEBBY FRANK
(914) 498-5443
I guess the discrepancy arises as to how much the fee is. But that is another issue altogether. In Westchester some form of compensation has to be offered to the cooperating broker enticing them to bring a tenant. How much it is is something else. Some agents feel the need to get a portion of the fee from the tenants because the landlord is not offering enough to make it owrth their while, but the tenant should be careful about that and ask.
Not according to WPAR. Any listing that is published on the EAMLS must have their commissions paid via the seller/landlord. I know in Rockland/Orange you are able to manipulate the structure of the commission. However, in Westchester that is not the case. Those agents may want to be careful!
Actually Theresa, that is not the right answer. There are several listings in the MLS where the seller expects the buyer to split the commission and pay half.
The correct answer is the one from Kevin Mancini. Go through an agent who will represent you and show you listings on MLS. The landlord will pay the fee.

Teresa Duguet
Houlihan Lawrence
914-420-8155
hi Taliba, you are getting several different answers here, but the most important thing to keep in mind is that EVERYTHING is negotiable. This means that even if the owner expects you to pay 1/2 the commission, it doesn't mean you can't negotiate with the owner of the property. If they like what you have to bring to the table and the terms work for them, they may agree to absorb the fee. Good luck!

DEBBY FRANK
(914) 498-5443
Good question!
Here in the Sound Shore Community , my area is New Ro -Port Chester, most agents do not charge a renter's fee for finding you a home UNLESS it is NOT on the Multiple Listing Service. This should be discussed in advance. Landlords on the MLS have signed an upfront agreement to pay the fee. They do so because they want to seriously advertize the rental and they also welcome the skills a professional realtor has in screening and processing the applicants. Then again, there are many vacancies where the landlord doesn't do much advertising and simply hopes a tenant will appear on their doorstep. In any case the fee is usually negotiable and only due if you rent something. in most cases even the landlords who are not on the mls are quite interested to pay the agent that brings a tenant to the table. If you are really strapped for great deal. Keep in mind that even if you agree to pay the realtor fee, so you can find the properties not on the mls, the agent helping you should be willing to approach the landlord for their part of the deal, which is usually 1/2 of what it would have cost them to list with an agent on the MLS. That's a deal for them since they are not p[aying the other 1/2 for the advertising, Also having agent representation is very important, we generally know particulars about the neighborhoods homes and buildings that rent. We may know of someone who previously rented with that landlord. We will also negotiate on your behalf, so you may end up paying thousands less in rent each year. This is why agents sometimes say "THE FEE IS WRAPPED UP IN THE TRANSACTION" One word of caution, a landlord that doesn't value their investment enough to deal with professionals in my mind ,should send up a red flag. Another words if they're frugal now I wonder how they'll be when you're in need of additional heat or have a repair that needs to be taken care of? My suggestion? Use an agent you feel you can trust, hone in on your mom instincts when viewing property and continue to ask a lot of questions before making a decision. Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://donnascragg.com
Hi: I have an agent who specializes in rentals in towns along the Hudson River. You will not have to pay a- broker's fee. The landlord pays. Please call my office at 914-273-9688 so that I can give you her number or give her your number. Thanks. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Have a nice day. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split with no fees. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits. Thanks.