Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

dthorn5772, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

I have a new section 8 voucher , looking for a 1 BR in the Pico/Robertson area in LA. This seems to be a difficult thing. Any suggestions?

Asked by dthorn5772, Los Angeles, CA Tue Oct 23, 2012

Are there any real estate agents or property management companies that could help me?

Answers

4
Call the landlord/property owner and ask if they participate in the section 8 program and if not would they consider, you can explain the pros of renting to a section 8 voucher holder one important fact is that the rent will get paid regardless of employment status. Don't give up someone will be willing to give you a chance I'm sure. You can also explain that if they do not currently participate in the program all they need to do is fill out the voucher and the housing authority will contact them just to confirm proof of ownership. There are usually places for rent between La Cienega and Robertson closer to Venice Blvd than Pico. Good luck!
Many landlords don't take section 8, but keep insisting and you'll find one.
dthorn5772,

Some landlords who take section 8 list rentals at http://www.socialserve.com

Are you currently searching the HACLA Section 8 listings? If not, go there and see what is listed. However, it depends on how many Landlords are listed with section 8 in the Pico/Robertson area.

Also, even if you do find a 1 bedroom that is not listed as section 8, contact the Landlord and tell them you're voucher holder. A landlord can apply to be on a sectoin 8 list. Sometimes, Landlords are also happy to have a voucher holder because it gaurantees a check at the begining of each month.

Yeprem P. Davoodian
I started out with this list. It doesn't help much. 99% of the listings are in neighborhoods that I don't want to live in. When I contact the online listings for Section 8 for the west side very few of these properties really accept the voucher. There must be some reliable listing of Section 8 properties for West LA, specifically Pico/Robertson. Are there real estate agents who might know about the Section 8 market in LA who could put me in the right direction? Is there something out there more effective than the HACLA listings?
Flag Wed Oct 24, 2012