Question Details

Wilson, Home Seller in Morrisville, NC

I have a listing agreement, but not a rental agreement. Can I rent my place without my agent?

Asked by Wilson, Morrisville, NC Thu Jun 16, 2011

I will not sign the rental agreement because the commission is excessive and is for the duration of the time the tenant lives in my condo. Do I have an obligation since the agent is listing the condo for sale? Can I leave the condo on the market and still rent it myself?

Answers

2
Wilson,

You are free to rent yourself, it is a different contract, you can even choose a different realtor to rent, however you need to bear a few thhings in mind. If you use Craigslist to find a tenant beware of scams where someone else uses your photos and offers your place for rent for a very low sum but demands deposits before meeting tenants. It happens. Also if you do rent it, and want to carry on listing make sure you agree with tenant that they will keep it clean and tidy ready for showings and how much notice they will be given for showings. Prospective purchasers need to know that the home is rentred, but it may open up a new buyer for you someone looking for an investment.
It's your home Wilson Rent it if you want! Good Luck!