Wendy Benavides, RealtorÂ®
Legacy Real Estate & Associates
â€œSelling California One Yard at a Timeâ€
PMZ Real Estate
1600 W Yosemite Ave #1
Manteca CA 95337
1. If there is ANY involvement with Western Union or sending docs via express services like FedEx, that should be a big RED flag.
2. Unable to meet in person with the individual attempting to rent the home. Get ID as mentioned before. Make sure you know the country code for Nigeria. Create the situation that compels them to call.
3. Tour the home. If their is evidence of any real estate information published by a real estate professional, call them. Check what may be taped to the windows. Often agents will post 'Alerts' and a phone number to call.
4. Never, ever use any form of cash. PS: Western Union is cash! Wired money is cash!
5. Status of house. This is the most difficult task. Determine if the home is delinquent on mortgage payments. This may indicate a foreclosure is imminent and you will find yourself on the street. It is not uncommon for such homes to be offered below market value. If the rent is 'too good to be true' you may want to do more research.
Now, if you have no intention of utilizing the services of a real estate professional, don't call one to obtain this information. Isn't that exactly what scammers do? Pretend to do one thing with only the intent of taking services and goods without paying.
Best of success in finding that exceptional rental.
You are correct in being cautions....many have been stung by unscrupulous people looking to take advantage of others.
With this said, there is nothing wrong with having your own requirements of the landlord prior to making a decision to rent. Actually this should be done to protect your interests and include multiple points of identification: proof of ownership/tax records with a paid receipt for recent taxes, photo identification, and copies of bills addressed to the property(electric, water, HOA, telephone, taxes etc.)
If an owner requests a deposit, damage fees. first and last and professes to be traveling, away, absent for any reason you should recognize a higher level of concern even if the opportunity is one you can't affort to lose. This is part of the scam.....a beautiful opportunity at an unreal price.
Take steps to protect yourself.....
Rocky G.H. Hawrysz
Prudential California Realty
(209) 444-6610 Direct
(209) 433-2000 Fax
License No. 01468373