Rentals in Brewster>Question Details

Angelohonda, Renter in Brewster, NY

I do not have good credit but we do have two solid incomes with great references and long term employment histories. How hard is it to rent a home?

Asked by Angelohonda, Brewster, NY Thu Sep 1, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brewster

Answers

6
Much will depend on the individual landlord, therefore consider being upfront regarding credit and show proof
of employment/reference letters, etc.; also consider working with an agent of your own...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 1, 2011
I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business; you don’t sit at a table in a restaurant to read the menu without actually buying food at some point. It’s the same concept: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. Prepare yourself with three fundamentals: amenities, location, and price.

Know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Don’t think a real estate agent in Brooklyn can find you an apartment in Queens, or vice versa. Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND an AGENT” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment. TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, now you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step ahead of a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
depends....speak to the landlords. also...do you have cash? you can make a larger up front payment or offer to prepay more rent.
That depends on the decision of the landlord. The best is to have a personal interview with the owner and explain the reasons why your credit score is low. He may be sympathetic and consider you as a tenant. He may want additional security put in a interest bearing bank account.
Your credit report demonstrates your ability to pay your debts in a previously agreed upon manor. ie: within 30 days, not exceeding credit limits set. Landlords or Property Managers such as myself, will look at this report to see what the likelihood is that a tenant will fall behind on their obligation to pay the rent on time to me.

People who spend beyond their means will typically fall behind frequently. They there are the people who just got delta a bad hand. Maybe a medical procedure without health insurance or an accident that left you unable to work. These too will hurt your credit, but to someone like myself, I can look beyond these unique circumstances and find a good tenant.

So it is certainly best to be honest, up front and see if its worth your time and the landlords time to pursue the application. Some landlords and complexes will have a set limit such as No one under a 700 score.

As far as "repairing credit" there is only one way and that is to not over extend yourself and pay off your debts on time or as agreed. There is no magic solution to repairing your credit, but if you want to look into making the life changes that will...check out Suze Orman. Follow her advice and you will quickly be on your way to not only a better credit score, but a better life.
I'll echo Anna about being upfront, she's spot on. Still id you're willing to do something about it, Call lazer to fix your credit his rates are very reasonable I've reffered many clients who have been happily satisfied 917.804.7224