Rentals in Oakland>Question Details

Davidladd1, Home Buyer in

I'd like to rent an apartment but the owner has very suspicious terms regarding deposit/first month.

Asked by Davidladd1, Tue Dec 10, 2013

Hello David,

I understand your point in wanting to view.There are no repairs or problems with the unit and all that needs to be done is cleaning and vacumming as the unit is in great condition and was only redone in Feb 2012.Under law only the lease contract is what is singularly required to seal a tenant and landlord agreement and i will only accept a bank to bank transfer for deposit for proper records and so i can receipt it.Like i told you i am presently handling a construction project and i dont think that there is any problem here with my terms.The apartment is exactly as it is on the pics and you have the necessary info.This apartment speaks for itself and to get a tenant is a minor detail and i have only been forthright and upfront with you about the situation.

As i stated before there is a couple there who will leave in the next few days and i am not in the mind to send anyone over there afterall they will be fully out of there on the 22nd which is just days from now and i

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Oakland

Answers

9
I received the same email from him related to an apartment for rent in Beverly Hills --- same problems, same wording, just different dates for the tentants who have no moved out preventing me from seeing the apartment.
Sounds like a scam ...
RUN! It's a trap.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
Oh God...

Have you even SEEN it? Why take a chance of renting something you haven't seen?

Too many scammers have hijacked legitimate listings, and make "applicant" complete a form that asks for personal information. Can you say identity theft?

And then they ask for the deposit to be wired to them via Western Union because they're out of the state/country.

Your best bet is to google property management companies who can work with you in finding suitable rentals Even singular landlords use property managers now so that we can also qualify prospective tenants.

Trust your gut.....
David,

I will echo what others have said. What you have posted screams… SCAM!!!

It appears that the “landlord” wants you to send (wire) money for a rental that you cannot see…you have seen pictures but not the actual property is what I glean from your post. The scammer is saying that pictures are good enough. Send him pictures of money and ask him to send the keys in return.
haha love that line - "send him pictures of money"!! Good one!!
Flag Tue Dec 10, 2013
Don't send any money to anyone. You need to view the property with an authority (manager or landlord) and deal with them personally. If your contact won't show the unit, they probably don't have the authority to lease it and are trying to scam you. Look elsewhere, for your protection.
ps
if you saw this "listing" on Trulia, you can flag it as fraudulent.
simply put - this is a SCAM - run in the opposite direction, and whatever you do.........do NOT wire money to this person or anyone who claims to be the owner and can't show you the home!

These scammers always have a reason why you cannot see the home.....also, another red flag.......the rent is too good to be true (very low for the area) - because it ISN'T true!

They take actual photos of listed homes........... hijack them, and use them to create fake listing.

Find an agent who can verify that listings you see are genuine.

This one is a scam!
I would stay far away from this!!!! Anyone who wants a bank to bank transfer and isn't willing to arrange a showing is most likely not legitimate. I would contact your local Realtor board or Housing Authority with this information. If you are being scammed, you are likely not the only person.
That's what I thought. It seemed too good to be true from the start. Thank you for confirming my suspicion.
Flag Tue Dec 10, 2013