Rentals in Norwalk>Question Details

American dre…, Renter in Norwalk, CT

I am told that many homeowners are refusing to rent to section 8 tenants and making it harder for us to rent. Can someone help me find a home rental?

Asked by American dreamer, Norwalk, CT Mon Jul 23, 2012

I have children and can only provide one month security but am told home owners will complain about either or state a tenant preference.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Norwalk

Answers

6
Section 8 is not welfare!!! Many people on Section 8 work full time jobs, unfortunately these individuals do not make enough to pay a two thousand dollar rent. It is a reality today in 2014. The job market has gotten better, but people are living longer and holding on to their jobs past retirement to make ends meet, so it decreases the job opportunities for the next generation raising children with limited support. What Section 8 pays does not allow for living in a more desirable area, and forces those needing assistance to move to unsafe, drug infested areas, or into a patched up homes with foundational hazards. Something has to change from the top!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Type in...go section8.com This is the site that land lands who take section 8 can post their rentals but you will not find many rentals for Norwalk it could be they do not know about this site...So pass it on... This site is free for land lords to post their rentals ,this is also free to those whom have Sec.8 and are looking for a place to call home. IF YOU DON'T EXCEPT SECTION 8 YOU CAN NOT POST YOUR RENTAL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
I'm sorry to here about your situation. I'm a Broker and Owner of 5 units in South Norwalk. We welcome section 8 tenants. Please give the office a call and speak with my wife Michele 203-997-6698.. I understand your looking for a single family home. We have a 3 bedroom a 2 - 2 bedroom apartments available. I wish you the best of luck.
Adam Negri
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 18, 2014
Hello Andrea,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such difficulty. This was one of the topics covered at our Board of Realtors general membership meeting this morning. The Connecticut Association of Realtors legal counsel was the guest speaker, so this is very fresh in my mind. It is against the law for a landlord to deny you as a tenant based on holding a Section 8 voucher alone. If there are other reasons, such as poor credit, poor references, frequent late rent payments, pets, smoking, well, then they have a valid reason for denying your application, but you cannot be denied just because you are a section 8 tenant.. You should consult with your real estate agent .

good luck
Hello American Dreamer,
I can understand your frustration in trying to find a suitable rental home with your section 8 status. Do keep in mind that you have a lot of competition as the rental market has been very active so the landlords have a choice on who they can select as tenants.

If you have signed an exclusive representation agreement with your current agent then it would be a breach of that agreement if you work with another agent.

Have you looked on Craigslist.com? Many landlords advertise their rental properties on that site. But...do be cautious as there are numerous scammers out there attempting to gain your persoanl information or money. Do verify if the landlord is indeed the true owner or property manager before giving any personal information or deposit with them.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
This is probably one of the worst pieces of advice I've ever seen from a Realtor. So abrasive and non-chalant. Thanks for letting me know I'll be sure NOT to go to your office.
Flag Thu May 15, 2014
Put your name in every real estate you can because each real estate has there own clientel and Try calling landlords on your own if you don't get any Realtors to help... I know it seems frustrating but don't give up, go to your local section 8 office and explain the situation ask them for help and ask them if they have landlords that they currently work with. Which they do, they should be able to offer you a list being that you have a section 8 voucher. I wish you the best and hope I helped in some way!!!! Jeannette Batsikas
Thanks Jeannette. The list the housing authority provides is mainly apartment or duplex/townhouse rentals. It is more difficult to find a single family house rental. I have reached out to multiple agents and all but one took a while to respond to my inquiries knowing I am limited on time to move out. The one who has taken her time in showing me homes has another section 8 client she has been giving priority to (she has been assisting this person to no luck finding a place) and has repeatedly told me how difficult it is to convince an owner to accept government housing assistance. It's pretty discouraging and all I can do is stand on the sidelines and push towards being assertive with these owners. I somewhat feel guilty for reaching out to yet another agent. It is frustrating. Thanks for your advice again.
Flag Mon Jul 23, 2012