Rentals in Portland>Question Details

Alison, Other/Just Looking in Portland, OR

I am self-employed & want to move to Portland. Is it cheaper to rent in Vancouver, or should I stay in Hawthorne etc.?

Asked by Alison, Portland, OR Tue Jan 5, 2010

I am 59, female, white, educated. I don't own a car and in fact dislike cars. Looking for a place I can be safe. I lived in Ashland, OR, for six years, but eventually found it pretentious not to mention very very expensive. Am now spending one year in SoCal living with my sister. My lease is up on April 30, then I'm outta here!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Portland

Answers

3
The wonderful thing about living in the Hawthorne you have access to everything. I have a rental property on 37th Ave 3 blocks from Hawthorne and its fabulos, unfortunately I just got it rented up. But it is urban living to a tee, you can walk or take public transportation and get to major places, like downtown, Lloyd center, Belmont, Laurelhurst and of course Hawthorne easily and cheaply, no car overhead. The thing about living in Wa is the personal income tax. Oregon has high taxes....if you want more info text or call me anytime. Steve, Beaumont Properties.
Web Reference: http://www.stevesanz.com
Alison, I lived in the Hawthorne district many years ago, and loved it. I also lived in Vancouver, WA and loved that too - but Vancouver is more car centric. But - there are some nice areas in downtown Vancouver, with walkability, so you might check that area out as well.

The Columbia River is nice if you can find something to rent overlooking the river!
Allison it is cheaper to rent in Vancouver than Portland and Hawthorne is a spendy area but location costs money. It depends on where and when you like to go places since you said you don't own a car. I would ask you where do you like to go and how often. Does your job make you travel or do you work at home? If you lived in Vancouver it is like living in the suburbs and you have to go some where to get anything. Hawthorne probably has everything you need and is close to town. If you bike or walk is that important to you? These questions you must ask yourself. Good luck. you might check out the web site http://www.walkscore.com

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group inc
503-319-9035