Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Kina Robinson, Renter in Chicago, IL

I am seeking a 2bed apartment, looking to move in March no more than 900 a month. Northwest side or surrounding suburbs. When should I start looking?

Asked by Kina Robinson, Chicago, IL Wed Dec 12, 2012

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

7
No reason to start before the middle of January, maybe later, since at that price things move quickly.
You can make the process smoother by identifying the areas you prefer, and monitoring what is for rent so you will know the best deals when you see them.
Have your money and your credit ready, too.
An agent who knows the areas and works rentals will be a big asset. we have some excellent ones in my office, feel free to call or write back if you'd like their contact information.

Dave Hanna
Realty Executives Source One
773-732-9123
Davehanna@realtyexecutives.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 12, 2012
You"re a little too early for March. Most March listings won't be available until January. But at that price point, it's also going to be tough to find something in the city unless you're on the far outskirts. I would choose a couple of suburbs that would be convenient and find an agent who will work for you to find a good place at a low price. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 12, 2012
Depending on where you are looking it may be a bit of a challenge to find a 2br for < $900/mo. Work with a Realtor to make your search process more efficient. For a March 1 move in the best time to start is mid January.

Be prepared to provide;
Employment History
Past Rental History
Credit History
1-2 months Down Payment
Possibly a Background Check
north west side better mean close to the state line @ 900 month
I would start in the middle of Jan, and get a good leasing agent to help you out.
You can have an agent start sending you listings now so you can start to get a 'fee' for the market and potential options (or no options) so you have time to tweak your criteria by Spring if you need to. No point actually looking at anything until Feb.
Robin,

Start looking 60 days out. Landlords start asking tenants for lease renewals 90 days out and give tenants time to respond.

Manuel Brown, Broker
iMove chicago