Rentals in Sacramento>Question Details

Dannelley7, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

I am retired and bring home 3200.00 monthly. My husband works for law enforcement, is retiring and going to work for Union Pacific railway. We have a

Asked by Dannelley7, Sacramento, CA Mon Apr 11, 2011

dog, he is potty trained does not dig or tear anything up. I am with him almost 24/7. Is there any way to have a dog? With my husband being away a lot and me being new to the area, I feel as though I need a dog just for security issues. Is that possible? He is a boxer and almost 5 years old. I would really appreciate a response to this issue. I may want to look at the house on Medallion way. Extra pet deposit would not be a problem. Thank you so much, Denise Dannelley

Answers

9
Kamal's point is addressed in the last paragraph of my comment.
Hello Dannelley,

Pet laws differ from property to property but if you are disabled and need a dog for assitance, I'm sure acceptions can be made in your case. Good luck
Hope this helps. Good luck.

California Housing Rental Laws Concerning Pets
by Fraser Sherman, Demand Media

If you have a seeing-eye dog, your landlord can't keep it away.
Overview
You may think of your cat as a family member, but to your landlord, it may be nothing but a nuisance. California law gives landlords the right to set a "no pets" policy on apartments or rental homes. Landlords can refuse to rent to someone with a pet, or a particular type of pet, and can evict a tenant who brings one home when the lease says not to.
Types of Rental Arrangements
Tenants can rent on a month-to-month basis or with a long-term lease, the Nolo legal website states. If you rent by the month, a California landlord can change the terms of the agreement--including whether you can have a pet--with 30 days' notice. If you have a lease, she can't change the terms, unless you agree, until the lease comes up for renewal.
Terms
Your right to keep a pet in your California rental may depend on what's written into the lease. The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals recommends landlords spell out their pet policy clearly in the lease or rental agreement and recommends terms: Specify which kinds of pets are allowable, which breed, and how many, for instance.
Restrictions
Landlords can adopt additional pet policies, the Nolo legal website states. They can reserve the right to approve each proposed pet individually, and require proper identification, licensing and proof of vaccination. In some states they can charge a "pet fee" in addition to a damage deposit; California damage-deposit law doesn't permit that.
Penalties
If a tenant brings home a pet in defiance of a no-pet policy, the landlord can use that as grounds to terminate her lease, Nolo states. The landlord can't simply change the locks or throw the tenant out: He must notify her that she's in violation, give her a chance to get rid of the animal--within three days, under California law--and if she does not, he can file for eviction.
Exception
Regardless of the terms in the lease, if you have a service animal--a seeing-eye dog or a hearing dog, for example--your landlord can't refuse to let you keep it with you. Nor can your landlord refuse to rent to you, Nolo states: Refusing a tenant because of a disability violates federal anti-discrimination law.
Denise,
The most important thing is to fully disclose to the landlord that you have a dog so they can make the decision. Many landlords will rent to you with a dog and as you say may require additional deposit. You mention that you may want to look at the house on Medallion Way? Are you currently working with a realtor? If you have any additonal questions or would like some help please feel free to call me at 916.442.4500... TED
Of course it is "ok" for you to have a dog, many pet owners see their pets as an extended part of the family. I know if my wife had to choose, the three cats come before I do.

Are you working with a local agent or Realtor? If you are looking at SFR, Single Family Residence, rarely will it be a problem. Make sure to read and review the HOA rules and regulations if considering Condos or Townhomes, and the CC&Rs just in case on an SFR. Work with an agent, and they can help you sort and fine turn your search.
Best of luck.
Spirit
Some insurance companies have exclusions for certain breeds.
I believe the excluded breeds may include Akitas, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Staffordshire Pit Bull Terriers, Presa Canarios, Wolves, and Wolf/Dog Hybrids.
While these can all be trained to be good companions and to provide a level of security to their owners, the protectiveness and aggression traits have been known to occasionally backfire, resulting in maulings and injuries to innocent parties. This is why the insurance companies don't want to insure those dogs. Rare, but BIG payouts.

I have met good dogs and scary dogs from each of those breeds.

If an insurance company has a ban, then the landlord does not want to take on the risk himself.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Many allow pets with an extra pet deposit. You might want to consider an adult community. In that way, you have social activities to entertain you especially while your husband is away.

I have a client that rented ina really nice adult community.They had sold their house in anticipation of moving to a Veteran community in Florida. They were on the waiting list so decided to rent locally until there was an opening. They're so happy here in the community that they're renting that now they might decide to stay. Their community has social activities every day, if they choose to participate. That's a nice option!
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com
Dannelley7,

Below are 2 links to the local SPCA, they have information for pet owners tenants and landlords, also a list of pet friendly apartments and rentals. If you are looking for a single family home, they give you tips for working with a landlord and getting them to accept your pet.

Sacramento SPCA : http://www.sspca.org/page.php?sid=39

Placer SPCA Roseville :http://www.placerspca.org/housing.htm

Dannelly,
Each landlord is different about pets. Call on each rental you are interested in and ask. Usually an additional pet deposit is required - but it varies. Someone out there will accept a dog. Check on Craigslist.org...lots of rentals.