Rentals in Memphis>Question Details

Jennifer D, Renter in Pennsylvania

I am relocating to the Memphis area to teach and would like some advice on places to rent

Asked by Jennifer D, Pennsylvania Sat Mar 9, 2013

My husband and I would like a house, not apartment, with a yard. We would like to start a family soon so we would like a safe neighborhood, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg just to be safe. This may be me living in a dream world, but if there are homes available for rent around $500 a month, that would be great. I found some, but they seem to be in some sketchy areas. Any help would be great. I have no idea what the market looks like in Memphis (born and raised in PA). If I am living in a dream world (for $500) let me know..but be nice about it please =)

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Memphis

Answers

9
I'm a financial planner, moved here six years ago. I'm active in the community and have lived downtown and now in East Memphis. I will tell you that Memphis is a local knowledge town. I've been where you and your husband are at, and you are at the mercy of trusting someone who you don't know who doesn't know you to help you make what is likely going to be only an OK decision on buying a house. Memphis has lots of variety, so tell us about you, and we can all have a discussion about where we think you belong. After that, you may seek a realtors advice if you are comfortable in taking that step, otherwise you'll be well served to rent in a good place, get to know the city, and then buy a house as soon as you know for sure where you want to be.

If I were to presume that you are an upwardly mobile young couple who wants to experience the vibrancy, culture, and character of a metropolitan community, I would VERY GENERICALLY suggest you live within the 240 loop, and stay within a mile North of Walnut Grove Rd or within half a mile south of poplar. Of course there may be a few affordable places in between poplar and walnut grove, but lots of those houses will be estate properties.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 11, 2013
It cheaper to buy a home in Memphis than it is to rent one.
Yes, you are correct about living in a dream world.Lol. Memphis' standard of living is very low, but not that low considering the amenities that you need. Please call me, so that I can walk you through everything. 1.888.854.1222 extension #1
Where I am coming from $500 is average for a whole house, that is why I am asking the question in the first place. We CAN afford more, but if we can save, that is the big idea.
Did you say you wanted to start a family in a $500 monthly rental? Maybe you can't afford a family if you can't spend at least $850 monthly on housing. There's 50 shades between "paying an arm and a leg" and $500 per month, and 850 is still on the low end.
As you have seen, $500.00 is a bit low for a nice area. Have you been assigned to a school? If you give me some specifics, I can direct you to an area that will meet your needs. You should adjust your budget to $750 and up.
LaRon and Brian are right. I own quite a few and manage homes all over the city. It is my opinion that you have to get to at least $850 to be in an area that in my opinion is desirable to live and the house is nice.
Jennifer, to be honest 500 per month will be in a less than ideal area. I would be more than happy to speak with you to help find the right place for you. My cell number is 901-270-8201 and my website is http://www.looktodayowntomorrow.com and you can fill in a section to let me know what you would like in a home.
Memphis has alot of homes available for rent. However to be honest, it's going to be tough to find one in a nice neighborhood for that price. My advice is to try looking in the 38016, 38018, 38119, 38138, 38135, 38133 areas for something like a condo or a zero lot. Or, 38117, 38115, 38116, 38141 these areas have nice homes and neighborhoods are decent. You can also try 38128 but be careful (like all areas in Memphis, one minute you are in a nice area the next minute you will wonder what happen).
Best of wishes, and let me know if you need anything, LaRon A Jones & Kaizen Realty