Rentals in Vancouver>Question Details

Kathy Payne, Renter in 84103

I am relocating to Vancouver to be closer to family. I plan to work full time in the medical field and I have great history and landlord referral.

Asked by Kathy Payne, 84103 Tue Mar 5, 2013

So far, I can't find anyone who will rent to me without proof of income which I won't have until I move and get a job. Suggestions?

Answers

6
Kathy, it really comes down to whether you do have something lined up or not. It is a catch-22. It is hard to really take a good amount of time to find a job unless you are here in town, but then, without a job, where will you live if nobody will rent to you. So to answer your question with a couple of questions:
(1) do you have job history in your profession or did you just get out of school and are looking for your first job?

(2) is there a possibilty of continuing your job search from where you are now, come out here to Vancouver when time to interview, and when you do receive your job offer, move out here then?

(3) if (2) is too cumbersome, possibly move out here and take ANY job so you will have some income to add to your savings. And,by having a job(any job) landlords will then be willing to rent to you. Once you get moved in, then go full steam ahead in your job search since you will be out here.

(4) move in with family out here for a little bit until you find employment and once you do, then begin your home search.

If (2) or (4) above, with our lending guidelines, all we need is a copy of the signed around employment offer letter that specifies your job position, start date, and annual salary. In addition, the name and phone number of the Human Resources contact to verify the start date on the letter. Lastly, we like to see at least one paystub prior to closing. If this is your first job in your profession, that is fine. With no job history to show, if that is the case, a copy of your college transcript and copy of your diploma can substitute for that.

I can discuss this further with you and can prequalify you for free. You can contact me at 503-810-1119. Best of luck to you. Vancouver is a great place, and I am sure your family would be ecstatic to have you out here.

Paul W Thompson
Mortgage Consultant
HomeStreet Bank
Kathy, this really should be that big a hurdle. especially if you have savings.
now, if you can secure a medical postion, prior to your relocation, thats going to be the way to go.

Even with a purchase of a new home, if you show continuous employment in your field, it is considered income. they key is continuous income.. job first... or substantial reserves in savings
Hi Kathy

I work with many medical professionals moving to the area and know several at Southwest Medical, Vancouver Clinic and Legacy Salmon Creek hospital. Go checkout Legacy and get on their on-call staffing, that will get your foot in the door to a full time position. I do understand your trouble as I own many rentals and that is a very important criteria for myself as well, if you Dont have steady income its hard to pay rent. Let me know if you have any questions, always happy to help.

Troy Jensen, Buyers Agent
Professional Realty Srvc of WA
360-852-7145
Hi Kathy,
You have a tough catch 22. Are you in process of applying for work already? Do you have prospects or is the job market in your field pretty tough?
Don't get too discouraged. Each landlord decides for themselves what they deem an acceptable risk in considering credit, income etc. If you have great credit, I would encourage you to create a letter to go with your application indicating your credit history is important to you and you intend on keeping it good. You have X number of jobs you are currently applying to and considering expect to be gainfully employed soon after setting up house. You can offer additional security depots or another month’s rent up front to reduce the landlords risk as well.
It will just take finding the right landlord and having a true and compelling story in writing to put something together. I wish you the best of luck.
Welcome to Vancouver Kathy. Can you get your current employer to provide proof of income documentation for a prospective landlord? I have had clients do that and it has worked. Do you already have a job lined up in Vancouver or will you be looking after you arrive?
Hi Kathy!

I would suggest checking Craigslist for rentals. Many times, home owners that are looking for a renter will be less strict than a property management company. Also, if you have a few months cash deposit for rent that would also help. I hope this helps!

Cheers!
evie (: