Rentals in Portland>Question Details

Adrian.Mares, Renter in Portland, OR

I am planning on moving to Portland OR in January/February of 2013 how soon should i start applying for rentals?

Asked by Adrian.Mares, Portland, OR Sun Nov 4, 2012

I currently live in California.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Portland

Answers

5
jlajla’s answer
NOW. I've been searching for a place since last March, over 7 months...and over that time, I've watched rent prices increase..so now I have the extra work of not only finding a place available, but finding a place that's AFFORDABLE. For every available place, at least 30+ other people are interested as well. If you're willing to live on the outskirts of Portland, you may have better luck, but then it will take extra time getting into the city. You may have better luck looking for a roommate situation. But either way, good luck, you'll need it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2012
Now we have less than 3.5% vacancy rates and rents have gone up 7% in past year the newspaper said yesterday. I agree with Dwayne start now. Tom Inglesby, Broker RE/MAX
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2012
Start getting ready now. You will need to be ready to take possession (start paying rent) right away. To get ready, get a letter from your current landlord, know what you want and where you want to live. Have a friend start looking about thirty days out and if they find something in your budget, get it leased. To help them, give them a packet on you that they can present at the viewing of the apartment. Include a cover letter from about you why you will be a good tenant., any recent credit report, and a letter from your current landlord. This will make a positive impression even if you have to fill out a formal application. Good luck and welcome to Portland!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
ASAP! Because so many Oregon home owners have lost their homes to the banks, there is a shortage of rentals and the rents are going up by the minute.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
You should start at least 30 days before.