Douglas McKe…, Renter in Honolulu, HI

I am moving to Honolulu and need to find a place in advance but every add seems like a scam. Help!

Asked by Douglas McKenna, Honolulu, HI Mon Nov 5, 2012

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3053998819-2512-Ala-Wai-Blvd-Ho…

Answers

7
That ad has so many inconsistencies, it is amazing.

Your best bet, go to sources that require a Realtor to post the ad (http://hicentral.com/properties-for-rent.html) or go to the local paper here which costs $$$ to advertise in, which usually stops scammers from advertising in.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2012
I got the same problem like Douglas, most are scammers.
Back to the basic is the best.. local newspapers or rental mags and ck it..thank u guys..
Flag Fri Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for the help guys.
Flag Mon Nov 5, 2012
Hi Douglas,

Do you know anyone here that can help you out? If not, the below advice is best:
Use a property management company
Do not send money until you verify who the legal owner is.
Get a hotel for a week.

You'll be competing with many visitors from the northern parts of the world, so I would try to go before Thanksgiving.

Here's a good article on how to bid on Priceline. I have gotten $250+ rooms for $99 buy using this technique. http://www.my-photo-blog.com/how-to-bid-on-hotels-with-priceline

Frank Diaz
(RA) MBA, e-PRO, REALTOR®
East Oahu Realty
808.723.0900 cell
Web Reference: http://hawaiihome.biz/
Why in the world would you want to spend $1,000 per month on something you haven't seen? If you have that kind of money to throw around you should be able to afford a hotel or vacation condo rental for a week to search for something that suits your needs.

I agree with all the other answers listed. Deal with a professional Realtor or Hawaii licensed agent; they are all required to post their name, Company and phone number with all properties they advertise.

Most scams start on Craigslist and unfortunately legitimate rental sites, such as Trulia, sometimes pick up those ads as well.

Don't rent anything without seeing it in person and meeting with the agent or owner in person. I have personal experience with legitimate listings being scammed and have met prospective tenants who sent $$ to someone they had not met for a property they had not seen.

Be safe, not sorry. In all real estate transactions (especially rentals) BUYER BEWARE!
Check out CaptainCookRealEstate.com. All properties on our site are real.
Doug, If you insist on renting a place before you get here, my recommendation is to what Kimo said below. But don't plan on seeing all the legitimate properties that are available that way. My best advice is to get a vacation rental or hotel for a few days and find a place when you arrive. As I said, if you have to rent sight unseen, you're on your own. Jerry
I would like to have it set up prior but it seems like that is a horrible idea. I did speak with a woman from Cirrus Asset Management today who was very friendly and said she would be available to meet with me the day I arrive and take me to several open apartments in my price range. Very helpful.
Flag Mon Nov 5, 2012
If you are planning on renting sight-unseen, you're on your own. Good luck!
Some of the units you are looking at are not scams. Just be sure that you don't send money or give personal information to anyone except at their place of business, assuming you have looked at the rental home already, or at the rental home. If you are able to meet someone at the rental home, chances are they are legit. If you go to a place of business and they have a permanant sign in front, chances are they are legit. Good luck finding an appropriate rental. Jerry Bangerter, RA, Property Manager, RE/MAX Kailani, Kailua, HI.