Rentals in Richardson>Question Details

Maddiemoo, Renter in Richardson, TX

I am looking to move into a rent house in Dec. 2011. How soon do I need to start looking? A month before? Two?

Asked by Maddiemoo, Richardson, TX Sat Jan 22, 2011

I agree with Ronda. I do a lot of work in RISD, Lake Highlands and Richardson. Rental homes move pretty quickly as the transactions do not take that long. In December you will also have the option of exploring homes that have been listed for sale for lengthy periods and not sold. These home owners become inclined to lease as the year comes to a close.

I would be happy to assist you. I would recommend that we meet about 45-60 days before you need to be in the home and we can review the market conditions - what you need and what you can expect to get for your rent dollar. From their we'll form a plan suited directly to your needs. At the 30 day point, we'll actually begin to tour homes. This will give us plenty of time to find the home and get the lease negotiated. Any earlier than 30 days, and the landlords will pass us over for a quicker tenant.

Greg Fowler
Keller Williams Dallas City Center
Start looking about 30 days out. Leases usually go pretty quick so if you start looking any earlier than that the one you fall in love with will be gone by the time you are ready to move. You can always look online in the meantime and get a good idea of neighborhoods and different types of homes that are available.
Good lease properties are leasing rapidly. Most are put on the market during the last 30 days of a leas.

I like to meet with my prospect, get to know thsm, and them to know me, and look at a couple homes.

Then I know what to PREVIEW, when a new listing comes available because time is of the essence.

I assume you have a lease somewhere now and coordinating the exact dates of move-out and move-in are the challenge.
The answer depends on whether you are currently renting with a lease or not. That lease probably has a time frame within it whereby you have to inform the landlord so many days prior to moving that you will be not renewing the lease.

If you are not currently renting with a lease...I would get my credit checked and get a credit history from a realtor. 90 days before I wanted to be in a rental, I would begin to narrow down the areas where I wanted to rent and the monthly price and 60 days before I wanted to rent I would be seriously looking. Depending on the area, 45 to 60 days prior to moving in is a good time to write a lease. I am speaking on behalf of northern NJ, where we have lots of rentals in close proximity of each other. You should be asking this question of a local realtor that you would like to work with.
If you are currently renting, your lease has a renewal clause. Typically, 30 days before the end of that lease you must notify the landlord if you don't intend to renew the lease. If you fail to and the landlord does not notify you that you're not going to be renewed, then the standard language causes the lease to go to month-to-month.

Sometimes the notification period is 45 days or even 60 days. This means to you that you have to find a place to move into in order to avoid stress prior to that date. If your apartment has a 60-day notification clause, then you had better find something before that. If you don't, then you may wind up in the unenviable position of having to pay for an extension while you're already in another rental. Or, worse, you give notice and then can't find anything before your scheduled end of lease.

From the other perspective the tenant who is moving out of the place you're going to move into has the exact same problem. The landlord won't advertise the place for rent so you can see it and possibly apply for it, until the decision to make it available is made. If the landlord waits until 30 days before the end of the old tenant's lease, then you won't know about it until he decides not to renew that old tenant.

Here you are 65 days before the end of your lease looking for another place, but a lot of those won't show up as available until 30 days before they're available. How do you solve this conundrum? You can take a chance that you'll find something by notifying the landlord by his deadline and then not looking until you are about 30-35 days from moving out of your old place. This will cause you some stress.

You can discuss getting a short extension, but you are at the mercy of the landlord and circumstances.

Looking at the two sides of the problem, you'll realize that 60 days is more like handcuffs. You're tied to that property and have to live with the deal the landlord will give you. A lease with 30 days notice is more reasonable, but some renters are unreasonable. They'll call a dozen places and look at them all, but not commit to any of them. Sometimes they'll have a Realtor pull all the rentals that seem to fit, but find somthing wrong with every one of them. So, if you're picky, then you'll have to allow more time. You also may have to give notice and then look.
I would say at least 60 days because you will more than likely have to give at least 31 days notice otherwise get hit with heavy fees. (check your lease) Also you didn't mention an area, only Richardson, or how much you can afford to pay per month, plus expenses. As long as you're realistic with what you want to spend it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I am saying this because I have had some outrageous requests such as less than $500 lease in N Dallas or $1000 or less for a 4 bed house in upscale neighborhoods. Those of course doesn't exist and a losing proposition but that's one of the things that Realtors get asked often.
I represent many families here in DFW area for Dallas homes for rent by owner.

1) Average move out notice a tenant provides a property owner is 30 days
2) You would need start your search approx. 45 days prior to move in NOT less than 30 days
3) Direct Link cost of moving into a Dallas home for rent

4) Direct Link recommend bookmark page over 70 cities are listed in Dallas houses for rent

5) Realtor needs to represent you FREE to you property owner pays all real estate agent fees HOWEVER many scams in Texas We represented families combined loss of over $30K rental scams:
Direct Link:

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
Yes...about 30-60 days before.

You can search for homes for lease here:…

Bruce Lynn
Web Reference:
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Only you know YOUR financial situation, not everyone can or should buy in today's market. You can find a rental at any time, best to find one a month before you need to move in. Best of luck.
My question to you is WHY RENT? I am not getting personal, but if you are in a positon where you think you might possibly be able to buy, get with someone you trust and go over your situation. you may be in the position by December 2011 to buy. If the situation doesn't allow you to buy & your only option is to rent, you may want to find a real estate company to deals in rental and let them know what your needs are and have them keep you in mind when they know of something will be coming up...
Also, there is always craigs list, but be VERY cautious with that!

With a rental home in Collin and Dallas County (Richardson is in both), you should look as soon as you are ready to rent. I find my rental clients end up liking one of the homes they see when we tour the first day, and we start negotiating the lease right away. Those who stall, or think they're going to wait a little longer before renting a home, to bring the rent down, are going to miss out on the home they like the best. Leasing has never been so in demand in our suburbs. I would venture to say you'd be hard-pressed to get a Realtor to let you tour in their car with them two months out on a rental. That would be a total waste of time. Trust that the Realtor knows the area. Tell them what you want - make the list as long as you want. And, then trust them to find it.