Rentals in Santa Rosa>Question Details

Devine30, Renter in Santa Rosa, CA

I am looking for an affordable rental that allows pit bulls. My dog is well trained and loves people and animals.Any suggestions?

Asked by Devine30, Santa Rosa, CA Wed Apr 27, 2011

Answers

3
First off let me preface my response by saying my wife was a vet nurse for 20 years, and until recently we had 3 dogs. Some home owners insurance polices are prohibiting pit-bulls so a good suggestion is coming self insured. And that may or may not be do-able.
I would also make sure you have up-to-date documentation about rabies shots. Also is your pet spayed or neutered? If it is you should document that since behavior is drastically different in intact canines. The problem is that there is a negative public perception about the breed, deserved or not, and so in a competitive rental market your application will be viewed as less strong because you come with a pitbull. There is no way around that if you keep your pet.
In this area there have been some high profile dog attacks in the last few years so you are fighting against some strangers perception of the breed. Don't do what some people do and start hiding the fact by calling it a Stratford Terrier, etc. because that will annoy people when they find out it is a pit.
I would ask landlords their position on the dog first before even seeing their rental to save you time.
Out of the box idea: If you trained your dog to be a service dog you would have a possible solution since then your dog may have to be allowed....
Great feed back. I like your honesty and the fact that you did not try to sell a house like the rest of these people.
Flag Mon Jun 4, 2012
Home Owners insurance policies usually do not allow certain breeds in rental properties. Not to mention that if you own anything of value, you are at risk of being sued if your dog is accused of anything. If you love animals, you would do well to get some family together to go in together on a purchase of property in the country, fenced of course!

For the long term, this is a good reason to figure out how to buy a home of your own. You can buy a large condo and mortgage payments are equal to what you would pay in rent. It is an easy process when you have an entire experienced team walking you through it holding your hand. The process starts with a free, no -obligation phone call to a mortgage broker (call me and I'll refer you to a reputable broker) so s/he can tell you what you need to do to get yourself into position to buy.

For the short term, get 4 or 5 reference letter from people who know your dog well. They need to be convincing and have some detail with examples of how your dog is calm and well trained. One strategy is to find a place you want, and as long as they don't specify they absolutely will not rent to dogs, make a superb first impression on the landlord. When you are offered the place, then produce your dog's letters of reference. Wait until the landlord attaches to you before you tell them about your dog. Offer to buy your own insurance for your dog, too. It is inexpensive.

If you need other help, give me an email or a call at: Hilary@ilovesonomacounty.com or (707) 545-6555

Hilary O'Rourke
Keller Williams, Realtor
http://www.ILoveSonomaCounty.com
Hilary@ilovesonomacounty.com

(707) 545-6555