Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

RDM, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

I am looking for a top floor apartment or an apartment located under people who don't have small children. Prefer walking distance to Beth Israel KHD

Asked by RDM, Brooklyn, NY Mon Mar 4, 2013

I work nights so I sleep during the day and I am currently under a family with a small child that runs and jumps constantly.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

3
Hi my name is Angie I have several apartments, feel free to call me I am a licensed Real Estate Agent
with Century 21 Achievers.
I am looking for a one bedroom apartment and can pay up to 1300/month
It sounds like you are looking for quiet and it's a reasonable request. A top floor maybe the best solution.

However, please know that in accordance with the fair housing laws, no one can ask whether a building or another apartment has children. Age is a protected class under fair housing.

What happens if there is no child there today, and yet 9 months later there is?

I have had really loud people live near me who had no children.

You can ask whether the unit upstairs has - or is permitted to have - wood floors. Another common noise challenge.

This is just a polite "heads-up" from me.

Find a good broker in the neighborhood and let them know you need a top floor unit.

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware that I wouldn't be able to ask whether the people living upstairs had children. I will definitely focus my search to a top floor unit though. I have gotten used to sleeping with earplugs but it is the vibration of the apartment as he runs and jumps that wakes me. I know being on a top floor won't protect me from noise completely but it is a start.

Thanks again.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013