Rentals in Forest Hills>Question Details

Fh, Renter in Forest Hills, Queens,...

I am looking at a $1,325 no-fee 1-bdroom in Rego Park in the 67/Clyde. Is this a good deal? Does anyone know anything about the neighborhood?

Asked by Fh, Forest Hills, Queens, NY Sat Apr 17, 2010

Answers

6
Anu Dutta’s answer
67th Ave and Clyde St is a good neighborhood and $1325 is a good deal if it is nice size and renovated. Another plus is this really a short walk to the 67th Ave subway, if you think about 71st/Continental its about 15mins walk. Your main shopping area would be Yellowstone Blvd. Overall I know it is a safe neighborhood and very close to FH Gardens.
Rent today; Buy tomorrow. How to convert from Tenant to Homeowner.

When I rented my first apartment in Astoria, I did not want to be a Tenant my whole life and pay my Landlord’s mortgage. I longed to become a Homeowner.

That’s why I found my way into the mortgage business in 1989 and soon afterward became a Homeowner. Here are the fundamentals any Tenant should know to prepare to become a Homeowner in the future, no matter when that might be.

• Credit: Establish 3 credit accounts, no more than 5. Pay your bills on time. Keep your balances to no more than 50% of your credit limit. Don’t pay off the accounts in full. Keep balances active for 12-24 months. All of the above will provide both a good credit score and adequate credit history to qualify for a mortgage loan.

• Assets: A basic savings budget isn’t hard to do. Pay your rent first in your budget; then set aside 10% of your income before taxes . Make it a budget priority and you’ll still have money left over for entertainment and restaurants and clothing.

How much money do you need to buy a home? Many buyers spend no more than $25,000 to buy their first homes. There are loan programs with low down payment requirements and many real estate agents negotiate for their Buyers a “Seller’s concession” to include the Buyer’s closing costs (which are HIGH here in New York!) in the price of the home.

• Income: Two years consistent income is the basic requirement for either a salaried individual or a self-employed person. Income from Bonus, Commission, and Overtime is treated differently and is best discussed with your Mortgage Banker.

• Market Survey: it doesn’t hurt to go out and get to know neighborhoods where you might like to buy a home. Visit open houses on Saturdays and Sundays. It’s okay that you’re not yet buying; tell the Realtor at the Open House you’re just beginning your “survey.” You’ll also get to know market prices for different kinds of homes. It’s okay to “window shop” homes on the weekend at Open Houses!

I hope these fundamentals will help you better understand the path to homeownership is a process that, with preparation and dedication, you can move through easily. And if you’re interested in getting Prequalified today to create an Action Plan for your future of Homeownership, call me anytime!

Trevor Curran
http://www.tcurranmortgage.com

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
If you are still on the hunt, please email me. Anthony@hillelrealtygroup.com.
WE specialize in rentals, please check our site http://www.WERENTNY.com for all our updated listings with pictures, videos and maps.
What is your agent advising and have you looked at closed rentals in the immediate area--if so what does the data suggest--If you are not familiar with the area, do visit again to get a sense of belonging and look at everything that is important to you--then make your determination.
It's still close enough to Queens Boulevard (pedestrian Bridge) and a short walk to Austin st.