If you are looking to live in an area of walking distance/shops then I'd recommend:
1. The "Upper Peninsula" as it's called, in the 92663 area code. It is very walk-able as you have tons of shops & restaurants along Newport Blvd. from PCH all the way down to 21st St. My brother used to live off of 35th St and we walked to bars/restaurants all the time. Very beach cottage-esque.
2. Also in the 92663 area code, but a little further north, off of River Ave and Seashore Dr, which are a bunch of beach cottages however the party scene can get a little crazy. You have more "local" restaurants and shops across PCH (which is a quick bike ride or walk).
3. Balboa Island, 92662 zip code - Marine Ave and Park Ave are the two streets that most businesses are along, the closer you are two those areas the shorter your walk will be. However with Balboa Island traffic can get very bad, particularly when there are events (Christmas Boat Parade, etc.) and in the summertime, mix of local/touristy feel.
4. Corona del Mar, 92625 - if you can afford it (same goes for Balboa Island) then this is my favorite part of the Newport Beach area, tons of shops & restaurants along PCH from Avocado Ave (which is in the 92663) all the way down to Poppy Ave on the south end of town. The south side of PCH will be more expensive than the north side of PCH, but wow some of these homes are incredible. I don't know what the rent goes for but I am sure most homes would sell for $1,000,000+.
5. Eastside Costa Mesa ("east of the 55"), 92627 - this borders the 92660 on the west, there is 17th St which has a lot of shops/restaurants, strip mall after strip mall, etc. which has some boutique type stores but it's not the feel of Corona del Mar. If I lived in the area I'd probably still find myself driving to stores though.
And yes, I go shopping with my wife a lot, and I lived in Newport Beach for many years as well as visit there all of the time, one of my favorite places here in Orange County.
Now what you can afford will determine a lot. Out of those areas above, in order of what I'd estimate as least expensive to most expensive, it'd be #5, 2, 1, 3, 4. I am not a real estate agent, I do not have a feel on the rental market, but from when we were looking to rent there 10+ years ago that's how I ranked the affordability of housing in the area.
However, if you have not yet been helped, i would be pleased to assist you with your house search. I specialize in helping renters & buyers, such as yourself, in finding their perfect home in the Newport Beach area.
Feel free to search Newport Beach rentals here: http://calcoastproperties.com/idx/index.php?main=filter003
You can call or email me anytime for any questions or assistance.
Please let me know how I can assist you.
If you are still looking for help let me know I would love to help you out.
On Friday evening you park your car and don't touch it again until Monday morning. You ride your bike, walk, jog or skateboard to all the local haunts and even the local grocery stores. In all the years I lived there I never had a problem with traffic. That's the advantage of being a local in a beach community
Presently I have a vacation home in Leucadia and in the 9 years I've owned it the same rule applies. On Saturday Morning's when it's rife with Southbound tourists, weekenders and swarms of cyclists hoarding the slow lanes I'm comfy cozy in my little abode watching all the traffic go by when not on the beach or surfing.
Good luck and enjoy your 20's at the beach. I couldn't think of a better place for a person young or old to hang.
"3. Balboa Island, 92662 zip code - Marine Ave and Park Ave are the two streets that most businesses are along, the closer you are two those areas the shorter your walk will be. However with Balboa Island traffic can get very bad, particularly when there are events (Christmas Boat Parade, etc.) and in the summertime, mix of local/touristy feel. "
I suggest Balboa Island which hasn't been mentioned and Corona del Mar. The Peninsula is for the hard parties and mobs of people during the summer months. It can take forever just to get from Main Street to PCH. You could do it faster in a boat at 5 mph. Oh, and try to find a place to park. That's an everyday challenge.
Let me know if you would like some assistance. i would be pleased to show you some options and help you find the best place for you.
Your best bets would probably be to live in the Lido area or Corona Del Mar. Those areas have lots of fun places for someone in their 20s to get to easily. Restaurants, bars, shopping - all that fun stuff:)
Someone else mentioned Eastside Costa Mesa. Lots of people enjoy Eastside and it's a bit more affordable than Newport Beach as well. It's a little further from the beach but there's still lots to do and the beach isn't too far away. Plus you can live near the Back Bay, which is great if you enjoy nature, hiking, etc.
Please let me know if you want any more information and good luck looking for a rental - there's a lot a rentals out there right now.
Congratulations on your decision: coastal living is a beautiful lifestyle! What draws you to Newport Beach?
You can connect with me & my team on facebook http://(www.facebook.com/maxwellestatesgroup) or by phone: (949) 690-2910.
Newport Beach as you know starts from border of Costa Mesa all the way to Pacific Coast Hwy. If you let me know what is your rental range and what you are looking for, I maybe able to give you some more information as to what areas would meet your needs. You can also go to my website were you can search the MLS for yourself http://www.deltamaxmortgage.com. Feel free to call me if you should have any more questions.
Love to be your partner in your search, but really wish you the best and hope you get the home you want, because OC Rocks! and living on the Coast is a huge "Smile Maker"!
We live and office in Newport Beach.
You've received some great information from others before me. If you want a local Newport Beach team working for you, give us a call at 888-801-7381 or Thom@ThomColby.com
Broker / Owner
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
Would like to recommend a few neighborhoods for you to check out. My website is below. Please let me know what type of criteria you are looking for and we can schedule an appt.
JoJo Harmon | Realty ONE Group | Broker Associate
23811 Aliso Creek Road #181, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Mobile: (949) 244-0719 | EMail: JoJoH@RealtyOneCA.com
Serving Newport Beach to San Clemente