Rentals in 92660>Question Details

Christinad54,  in 92660

I am in my late 20's and looking to move into the newport area. I would like to live in an area that is walking distance to shops/resturants.

Asked by Christinad54, 92660 Tue Jun 28, 2011

ideas?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 92660

Answers

21
If you are looking in the 92260 it isn't terribly "walk-able" as it's more of the suburban sprawl. Just Google 92660 and you'll see an exact layout of the zip code via Google maps. Anyway you can see it goes from Irvine Blvd in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, includes Fashion Island and into the San Joaquin Hills. The shops/restaurants would be in Fashion Island (there is housing around there, but it's not like walking down to the corner to find a boutique shop or a dive restaurant) and the Westcliff Plaza Shopping Center (which has some stores, etc. but it's a strip mall) and the shops on PCH near MacArthur Blvd (which basically is Corona del Mar).

If you are looking to live in an area of walking distance/shops then I'd recommend:

1. The "Upper Peninsula" as it's called, in the 92663 area code. It is very walk-able as you have tons of shops & restaurants along Newport Blvd. from PCH all the way down to 21st St. My brother used to live off of 35th St and we walked to bars/restaurants all the time. Very beach cottage-esque.
2. Also in the 92663 area code, but a little further north, off of River Ave and Seashore Dr, which are a bunch of beach cottages however the party scene can get a little crazy. You have more "local" restaurants and shops across PCH (which is a quick bike ride or walk).
3. Balboa Island, 92662 zip code - Marine Ave and Park Ave are the two streets that most businesses are along, the closer you are two those areas the shorter your walk will be. However with Balboa Island traffic can get very bad, particularly when there are events (Christmas Boat Parade, etc.) and in the summertime, mix of local/touristy feel.
4. Corona del Mar, 92625 - if you can afford it (same goes for Balboa Island) then this is my favorite part of the Newport Beach area, tons of shops & restaurants along PCH from Avocado Ave (which is in the 92663) all the way down to Poppy Ave on the south end of town. The south side of PCH will be more expensive than the north side of PCH, but wow some of these homes are incredible. I don't know what the rent goes for but I am sure most homes would sell for $1,000,000+.
5. Eastside Costa Mesa ("east of the 55"), 92627 - this borders the 92660 on the west, there is 17th St which has a lot of shops/restaurants, strip mall after strip mall, etc. which has some boutique type stores but it's not the feel of Corona del Mar. If I lived in the area I'd probably still find myself driving to stores though.

And yes, I go shopping with my wife a lot, and I lived in Newport Beach for many years as well as visit there all of the time, one of my favorite places here in Orange County.

Now what you can afford will determine a lot. Out of those areas above, in order of what I'd estimate as least expensive to most expensive, it'd be #5, 2, 1, 3, 4. I am not a real estate agent, I do not have a feel on the rental market, but from when we were looking to rent there 10+ years ago that's how I ranked the affordability of housing in the area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
WALK TO GELSONS, SOUTH COAST PLAZA, THE BEACH. Check out this listing. Sue Vaurs 714-656-5656 or sue@suevaurs.com

405 Harbor Woods Place, Newport Beach CA 92660 $2,600/mo
Web Reference: http://suevaurs.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 31, 2011
I see your question has perhaps already been answered and you have access to some great Realtors.

However, if you have not yet been helped, i would be pleased to assist you with your house search. I specialize in helping renters & buyers, such as yourself, in finding their perfect home in the Newport Beach area.

Feel free to search Newport Beach rentals here: http://calcoastproperties.com/idx/index.php?main=filter003

You can call or email me anytime for any questions or assistance.

James Dougal
949.500.0366
jdougal@calcoastproperties.com
Lifestyle is a huge consideration in the Newport Beach area. I have lived here for years, and there are some fantastic areas to live in. One area you may want to consider is Corona del Mar, as you can walk to the village of Corona del Mar. Also, The Balboa Peninsula has some nice rentals, and if mode if transportation is a consideration, many residents travel via bicycle.

Please let me know how I can assist you.

Regards, Sharon
@ Ted I think she is looking to rent since it's under "Rentals".
wow so many answers. Have you found what you are looking for? Have you had the opportunity to speak with a lender and see what kind of payment you would have?

If you are still looking for help let me know I would love to help you out.
Having lived on Balboa Island and the Peninsula for 15 years I agree, traffic can be very challenging to say the least. However, as a resident I rarely if ever had to deal with traffic. When you're going to work in the morning everyone else is coming and likewise when you're returning home in the evening everyone is or has left.

On Friday evening you park your car and don't touch it again until Monday morning. You ride your bike, walk, jog or skateboard to all the local haunts and even the local grocery stores. In all the years I lived there I never had a problem with traffic. That's the advantage of being a local in a beach community

Presently I have a vacation home in Leucadia and in the 9 years I've owned it the same rule applies. On Saturday Morning's when it's rife with Southbound tourists, weekenders and swarms of cyclists hoarding the slow lanes I'm comfy cozy in my little abode watching all the traffic go by when not on the beach or surfing.

Good luck and enjoy your 20's at the beach. I couldn't think of a better place for a person young or old to hang.
"I suggest Balboa Island which hasn't been mentioned"

?

"3. Balboa Island, 92662 zip code - Marine Ave and Park Ave are the two streets that most businesses are along, the closer you are two those areas the shorter your walk will be. However with Balboa Island traffic can get very bad, particularly when there are events (Christmas Boat Parade, etc.) and in the summertime, mix of local/touristy feel. "
Christina,

I suggest Balboa Island which hasn't been mentioned and Corona del Mar. The Peninsula is for the hard parties and mobs of people during the summer months. It can take forever just to get from Main Street to PCH. You could do it faster in a boat at 5 mph. Oh, and try to find a place to park. That's an everyday challenge.
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com
I recommend the peninsula or Corona del Mar area. Both have areas that are close to shops and restaurants...lots of restaurants! I'm not sure that I know exactly what you are looking for. Are you planning on buying or leasing? You can email me at: cfleming@coldwellbanker.com. My daughter is a student at UCI and she lives on 30th Street. This is a really convenient area, close to the supermarket and many restaurants.
You might contact the leasing department at Promontory Pointe Apartments
Done the Newport thing. I'm over it. moved to North San Diego Count and lovin it.
Depends if you want the "beach" scene with lots of action, or if you want more upscale atmosphere with options to walk in a village-like setting. Of course, it also depends on your budget.

Let me know if you would like some assistance. i would be pleased to show you some options and help you find the best place for you.
Hi Christina D54, There are several areas in Newport. What would be the deciding factor is what you want to spend, bedrooms, which will determine the areas. Then from the areas, I would help you, to see if the areas are where you would want to be. You may find a couple of areas you like and then it would come down to the house you like. Let me know how else I can help you in your venture. I included the walkability with all the properties you would be interested in seeing. Talk to you soon.. Ingrid Ski Realtor
Hi Christina,
Your best bets would probably be to live in the Lido area or Corona Del Mar. Those areas have lots of fun places for someone in their 20s to get to easily. Restaurants, bars, shopping - all that fun stuff:)

Someone else mentioned Eastside Costa Mesa. Lots of people enjoy Eastside and it's a bit more affordable than Newport Beach as well. It's a little further from the beach but there's still lots to do and the beach isn't too far away. Plus you can live near the Back Bay, which is great if you enjoy nature, hiking, etc.

Please let me know if you want any more information and good luck looking for a rental - there's a lot a rentals out there right now.

Holly
Christina,

Congratulations on your decision: coastal living is a beautiful lifestyle! What draws you to Newport Beach?

You can connect with me & my team on facebook http://(www.facebook.com/maxwellestatesgroup) or by phone: (949) 690-2910.

Warm Regards,
Max
Hello Christina;
Newport Beach as you know starts from border of Costa Mesa all the way to Pacific Coast Hwy. If you let me know what is your rental range and what you are looking for, I maybe able to give you some more information as to what areas would meet your needs. You can also go to my website were you can search the MLS for yourself http://www.deltamaxmortgage.com. Feel free to call me if you should have any more questions.
Hi Christina, not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you can search for Property for sale on a number of websites, then plug the addresses into WalkScore.com , it's very cool...you can not only get an overall evaluation of the "Walkability" of the neighborhood, but you can see on a map where Lifestyle destinations are in comparison to the home for sale! I love it and use t all the time ...

Love to be your partner in your search, but really wish you the best and hope you get the home you want, because OC Rocks! and living on the Coast is a huge "Smile Maker"!

See ya

Gina

@LBRECoastalTeam
Hi Christina,

We live and office in Newport Beach.

You've received some great information from others before me. If you want a local Newport Beach team working for you, give us a call at 888-801-7381 or Thom@ThomColby.com

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
DRE# 01398570
Hi Christina,

Would like to recommend a few neighborhoods for you to check out. My website is below. Please let me know what type of criteria you are looking for and we can schedule an appt.
There are alot of areas in Newport that are walking distance to shop/restaurants, whether the main Newport Beach area, Newport Heights, East Bluffs, etc. It will depend on your budget & size you are looking for. If you'd like to share more of what you're looking for, just email me directly & I'll start searching.

JoJo Harmon | Realty ONE Group | Broker Associate
23811 Aliso Creek Road #181, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Mobile: (949) 244-0719 | EMail: JoJoH@RealtyOneCA.com
Website: http://www.HarmonHomesRealty.com
Serving Newport Beach to San Clemente
(DRE #01469239)