Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

Monica J Rose, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

I am in a wheelchair and am looking for a rental that is handicapped accessible. How would I go about finding an apartment that fits my needs?

Asked by Monica J Rose, Brooklyn, NY Mon Mar 25, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

5
Ask around to find a local agent. Places you might get references would be from wheelchair rental in DC like http://www.expressmobilityservices.com, other agents, or even through the city.
Sign up with a local agent and have her look for apartments with elevators in a wheelchair friendly building
Many MLS services can screen or search by accessibility. I agree that it's far preferable to work with an agent who really knows the area you're interested in. But if you haven't narrowed that down yet, it still is possible (depending on the MLS) to search for rentals that would work for you.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Consider working with an agent; or check local print media for by owner rentals, always verify ownership before exchanging any money, word of mouth, etc.
Hello;
I would suggest start your search working on line to find the neighborhood with the assets and ammenities that you want close at hand in combination to your budget requirements and then finding an agent that specializes in that neighborhood to help you find the right apartment.
An agent that specializes in a particular neighborhood, will know all the buildings and the landlords and will be able to locate that special needs apartment.
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
Thanks for your reply. I have one child living in Greenpoint and one in Carroll Gardens. I would like to be close to either.
Flag Mon Mar 25, 2013