Rentals in Centreville>Question Details

Heather Smith, Other/Just Looking in Centreville, VA

I am in a dispute with the management company about some security deposit issues

Asked by Heather Smith, Centreville, VA Wed Aug 22, 2012

I have been the ideal tenant and have maintained the property for 2 years and have done everything possible according to the terms of the lease. I am being treated as inferior and the landlord and mgmt. co inherently have the upper hand as they dangle my deposit over my head. The company has been beyond rude and condescending especially over the phone. I am seeking legal counsel but know it can be more costly than it’s worth. Any advice.

Answers

2
Heather Smith’s answer
Erik, thanks for your comment. Yes, as I have stated I did everything according to the lease as best to my ability. It's a bit complicated, though it should not be. Well, one specific issue was determined not to be our responsibility, but of course, when we move out they want to deduct it from the deposit. The mgmt co stated they represent the landlord and basically told me the landlord determines if we should pay or not, so of course they rather take it from our pockets. I have contacted law offices and researching small claims. Thanks.
Did you see my previous post regarding VLTA (Virginia Landlord Tenant Act)

Most people get all up and arms and have never read their lease. I would assume this is NOT you. You have read your lease thoroughly right?

All depends on the working in you lease as to how the security deposit will be handled and the law governing your jurisdiction. Small claims is always an option.

Best of luck.