Ksmith, Renter in Spring Branch Central,...

I am a tenant of Gentry House Apartments on Kempwood Dr. and this has got to be this most horrible apartment complex I have ever lived in.

Asked by Ksmith, Spring Branch Central, Houston, TX Thu Jun 14, 2012

I would not recommend it to anyone. It is dirty, loud, and filled with roaches. Save yourself and DO NOT RENT HERE!!!!! I am now in a situation I can not get out of and even my guests have had to complain.

Answers

7
This may seem a bit over the top, but it actually worked for a relative who encountered a similar living situation. Once the roaches and mice OD'd, she collected dozens of them in a plastic bag and presented them to the complex manager. She also videoed and recorded incidents that produced noise, and took photos of the dirty conditions in the complex. She then approached management once more, and advised the representative that she planned to continue this activity, and encourage other residents to do so, until something was done. She further asked him, along with his supervisor, to personally inspect the apartment, which they ultimately did. What resulted was an agreement allowing her to terminate the lease without penalty, in exchange for her not pursuing the matter through the system.

I know that this is a bit extreme, and I'm certain that not everyone would take these measures. But you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your apartment, which is obviously not the case here. Please do not consider this as legal advice ... I'm simply relating an incident which, in this instance, had a positive outcome. You should definitely consult an attorney before doing anything proactive. I wish you the best of luck.

Al Geffon
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Next time you rent you should consider a condo. Good chance you won't have these kind of problems.
Any Realtor can help you find one.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
I was renting a townhouse that I had no issues with before this complex. I only moved here b/c it was near my roommates place of business and it is a large apartment. It is a decision I regret.
Flag Thu Jun 14, 2012
Flag Thu Jun 14, 2012
You can get out with a reletting fee. With the combination of a move in special at your new Apartment address you will not be out of pocket that much additional money.I can Find you a nice complex with a Good Move in Special !, You can be out of there in less then a month.

Ed Beard
Realestate Broker
832-912-6700
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Check with the Houston apartment assoc. and see if there is anything they can do. You do have rights.

http://www.haaonline.org/Display.aspx?id=111
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/tenants.shtml

I hope you can read about your rights from the State of Texas Attorney General's website.
Know your rights before you go to your landlord.
File a complaint with the City of Houston Housing...

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Ksmith,
Have you talked to your landlord or managment company about options to break your lease? If you have and that is not a good option, you may want to discuss this with a real estate attorney. The attorney may find just cause for you to be able to break your lease and can help negotiate with the landlord or management company on your behalf.

Gary Geer

http://www.ggeer.illinoisproperty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
It is unfortunate, when a resident such as yourself has to go through an experience such as this. I can tell you that the Apartment Association is the place to contact for any apartment issue. An Apartment locator is a good source for locating the proper apartment. A Realtor is a good source for locating a home. if I can be of help please give me a call 832.489.1986 Sonya