Rentals in Martinsburg>Question Details

Jessica, Renter in Winchester, VA

I am a stay at home mom and my husband and I are separating. I have been looking for a place to rent in martinsburg but I don't have proof of income

Asked by Jessica, Winchester, VA Thu Jan 17, 2013

What can I do in this situation?

Help the community by answering this question:


Jessica’s answer
Thank you everyone! I will look into hiring a realtor. My main source of income is child support that is not court ordered yet! I can afford $750 per month and I have no pets. My plan is to establish a job after I move. Would it be wise to have my husband on the lease temporarily until I get a job so the owner can assure the rent will be paid?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 18, 2013
You may be able to just have him as a co-signer rather than actually on the lease, so that it does not appear he is a tenant. You might also consider offering to pay the rent in advance, maybe 6 months, or until you know that the monthly income would be guaranteed. That way you could have the lease in just your name without having to depend on a co-signer. Just a thought. J
Flag Fri Jan 18, 2013
Hi there, thank you for your inquiry. First, how much can you afford? Second, what area do you want to live in? (school needs etc?) Third, do you have pets? What can you afford is the most crucial for obvious reasons. . . let me know if I can be of further assistance. 304-671-0387 or
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 18, 2013
Hi Jessica,

The owners of the rental will in most instances ask for a prospective tenant to complete an application and provide a credit report. Most applications will ask for your current employment or other source of income that will be used to pay the rent. If you have no income, it might be difficult for the owner to understand how you are going to pay the rent. You will want to be honest and up front with not only your Realtor. Each owner may have different requirements. I think you will need to work with your Realtor who can present your case to the other agent or owner and see if they will be willing to take achance with you. Any help you need, just call. Jeanne. 304-582-5215
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013

If you can show that you will be able to make the rent, that is the first step. It would help to hire a Realtor in this situation as you would have representation. We can also provide you with the broadest view of what is available.

If you wanted to come to the office, we could discuss your options and see what the best course of action would be once we clarify specifics.

I am with Keller Williams in Martinsburg and can be reached at 304-702-4020.

Anthony Faiano
"Success Through Service"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer