Rentals in Naperville>Question Details

briannedean, Renter in Naperville, IL

I am a single mother with bad credit. I have a stable, nice paying job. How diffult would it be for me to find a place too rent?

Asked by briannedean, Naperville, IL Sat Jan 12, 2013

Answers

4
Cash always trumps credit when it comes to rental properties, if your credit was stellar you would be looking for a home, Landlords understand, you need to give a good cash flow history, how much you earn per month plus your current monthly payments.

People always want to help if you give them a good reason why, be honest tell your story you will be ok,.
Thank you for the information. I will keep my fingers crossed. My daughter will be in kindergarten next year and I am looking to move during the summer.
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
It makes it a bit harder but can be done. Hurts your negotiation a bit, and you will lose out to those with better credit, but many have had their credit ratings hurt in the past few years...
Ken
Brianne, you are not alone in looking for a rental with all the positive elements for a landlord, with the exception of low credit. There are a number of ways to pro-actively address your situation with a potential landlord. Landlords want to see indications of the ability, and commitment to paying the rent regularly, and that you will take good care of their investment. Let me know if I can help.
Hi Brianne,

Most landlords today know that renters in this market don't have great scores. It's going to be your recent payment history that will be looked at more diligently. Many folks have foreclosures or bankruptcies or medical bill issues but a good payment history over the last 6 months to a year will be in your favor. It will depend on the landlord of course. I have a 3 bedroom condo with garage in Bolingbrook right now for $1250 if that would suit your needs. Let me know.

Michele Nixon
Michele@michekenixon.com
Please let me know if the unit in Bloingbrook is still available. I am interested and in the same boat as the person who asked the primary question.
Flag Fri Apr 5, 2013