Rentals in New York>Question Details

CH, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

I am a father of two looking for and affordable one bedroom . MY Credit is not so good still paying off school can someone help me find and apt

Asked by CH, New York, NY Sat Sep 21, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Answers

4
Consider working with an agent of your own--as to the credit issue, much will depend on just how poor it is and much will depend on the landlord/building as each is different; however you can consider being upfront regarding your credit; be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs; possibly pre-pay some of the rent; possibly offer extra security; have some reference letters handy; consider a guarantor, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013
please contact me. My name is Dennis and I can be reached at 212-714-1027 ext 12. Thank you and good luck.
Whether you work with a broker or go the "no broker fee" route, you need to spend 30 minutes understanding, ahead of time, what it is that landlords are looking for and how you can overcome many of the obstacles you face.

You didn't tell us what you consider to be 'affordable', not did you tell us where you are willing to live. An affordable apartment in the Bronx is quite a bit different than an affordable apartment in Manhattan.

In order to educate yourself, take a look at the renting guide posted free by RDNY.com ( a great source of no fee listings, by the way). You can find the guide here: http://www.rent-direct.com/rentingguide/Welcome.html

Good luck with your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Its possible. Depends in how bad your credit is and what your income is. If you live here now, you probably know that landlords want to see annual income equal to 40 times the monthly rent. So if the rent is $2000, your income needs to be 80,000.
Paying advance rent and/or additional security is something some landlords will consider.
Bottom line is that no one can tell you anything with certainty without specifics. And even then, a broker can only guide you in the direction his experience takes him as it will be the landlord who has the final decision.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013