Rentals in San Antonio>Question Details

Anne Zielke, Real Estate Pro in Livonia, MI

I am a Realtor in Michigan, my husband will be working at Fort Sam beginning in January. He is looking to lease a property within 20 mins. of the

Asked by Anne Zielke, Livonia, MI Wed Dec 2, 2009

base. In general what is a normal length of a lease? The job should last 2 years. Since we know nothing about the area he would like to lease a home at first.

Answers

10
Anne,
A normal lease is 12 months. Sometimes you can find a 6 month lease, but landlords find those costly with the make ready. Generally an 18 to 24 month lease is a real plus.
There shouldn't be too much trouble finding something around Fort Sam. I'd love to help. Let me know how I can be of assistance.
Stacy Dean-Peters
Broker Associate
Keller Williams
stacy@kw.com
210-771-7873
Anne,
Yes, we have many lease properties, however if you can you should consider buying. San Antonio is one of the top ten most ressession proof areas int the country. We have five bases so there is constant transition and selling your property in a couple of years will be relatively easy not like I think it would be in Livonia, though many years ago I remember it being a very pretty town. I will help you however you want just tell me what you want to do and when. Thank you.
Jerry Welch
I would really like to thank everyone for all your help. He will be leaving first and the rest of the family may or may not follow, depending on the job, we have school age children, thus creating a concern of pulling them out of school for a year and then having the job end while they are still in school down there. He is looking more for a 6 month lease at first. I am happy to hear this is feasible.
I will pass all this information on to him.

Anne
Welcome to San Antonio . . . as everyone said bedore, you can easily find a good home from 12 months or longer. The market is wonderful here . . . specially for Keller Williams. Please let me know if is anything I can do for you. My cell phone is 210-535-1151.
Web Reference: http://www.RosarioC.com
You can generally find homes for lease from 6 months to 24 months with 12 months being the most common lease term. Let me know if you have further questions - Kim Clark (210) 827-7355.
anne,

Welcome to San Antonio! Hope you will enjoy it here. At least you will not need any snow tires/chains ;~}

Most of our leases are one year. Many properties around the Ft Sam area to select from. A 20 minute drive will be no problem.

You can go to my web site and search our MLS for free to see if anything strikes your fancy.

Let me know if I may be of any service.

Dominick Dina, Broker/Owner
Christian Realty San Antonio
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
For the most part leases start at one year. I have some great properties close to Ft Sam and I would like to talk to you about you possibly coming to work for Keller Williams legacy group. Our brokers office is in Stone Oak, but my little satellite office at the brownstone Town Homes is close to Ft San And downtown San Antonio.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Anne,

As the others have mentioned, typical leases run a year here. You can find two year leases, but I wouldn't mess with them as you said the job "should" last two years. Although military members are allowed the potential to break their leases in Texas with the proper paperwork supplied by the military, it's best not to put yourself in that situation. Plus, what happens when you don't like the place or the landlord (or something similar) - you're stuck in a two year lease. At least with a one year, you'll have the potential to leave if necessary and most landlords will want to re-lease it to you again if you've been good tenants.

Are you planning on moving your license down here? We're much different from Michigan and we've been performing much better than many parts of the country. Something you might want to consider when you get here (or even before as you could do a lot of the prep work and necessary classes before you get here).

What sort of price range are you thinking of for your lease? There's a lot of areas that are considered close to Fort Sam Houston, so depending on your price range, you can go several different areas.

Hope that helps and welcome to San Antonio!

Matt Stigliano, Realtor®
RE/MAX Access
(210) 646-HOME
http://www.RErockstar.com
"Your all access pass to San Antonio real estate."
Hi Anne,

San Antonio is a beautiful city so you should enjoy it hear. The climate is much hotter with mild winters. Leases typically run about 12 months with a few LL willing to go to 2 years max. I can run a check for you if you send me an email address.
Web Reference: http://www.cathybureau.com
The majority of leases are for a maximum of 2 years. The majority are 1 year in length.

Stephen White
Spiros Realty
210-544-7378