Meridith Jac…, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

I am a Nurse looking for a 1 or 2 bdrm. My credit score is not that good but is being repaired. No more than $1400 Bed-Stuy would be great

Asked by Meridith Jackson, Brooklyn, NY Sun Feb 23, 2014

My income is $80,000 annually but my score is under 600. My fiance score was 648 when checked last.

Answers

8
As to the credit--depends on just how poor it is; also much will depend on the landlord/building, each is different; however you can consider being upfront regarding your credit; be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs; possibly pre-pay some of the rent; possibly offer extra security; have some reference letters handy; consider a guarantor, etc. As to the search, consider working with an agent of your own; or check local print media for by owner rentals, always verify ownership before exchanging any money; word of mouth, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 23, 2014
If buildings are not working out, check out private home rentals.
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
Yes I always show employment paystubs and have done each and everytime. I am always upfront with my credit rating because it's not worth lying about. As far as a guarantor, that is not an option for me. I have spent a considerable amount on application fees even after being upfront. However I will continue to push forward.
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
I am just seeing this question for the first time. You could still get an apartment it would be best to use your husband's credit. If your husband's income isn't enough then you could use I believe it is called insta pay. It is a system that will guarantee your rent payment to the landlord. Please keep in mind that the fomula that is used is 40 x the rent whatever the price is that will be what you have to make in order rent the space.
Hi i just found a beautiful Brooklyn apartment on this site gladstoneny.com check it out and was very helpful with all my needs
Hello Meredith, As long as you have not any cases in Landlord Tenant court for non-payment of rent, I maybe able to assist you.
Thanks for your response. We have successfully found a place to stay.
Flag Wed Mar 5, 2014
It would be a challenge but if you can get a grantor and provide pay stubs we can get it but call me.
To be honest, my income is very sufficient to afford housing. Also I would not ask anyone to be a guarantor after the situation I went through trying to help someone else that resulted in my credit problems. But thanks for the advice.
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
What is the reason that your credit needs work? Late payments, charge offs? too much debt to income?
A 2 BR in Bed Stuy is going to be difficult these days and if you are trying to fit 2BR's worth of people into a one bedroom, landlords will also not go for that.
There is more to this than your credit score.
Most landlords, especially in the price range that you are looking for will look at the whole picture. They know there is no such thing as perfection.
Responding to ads is also rather like chasing the market. Get ahead of it; walk into the best office in the neighborhood that you want to live and talk directly to an agent. Or at least call them on the phone and ask for help with your search. Most of the better apartments will be rented as soon as they come into the office by people that are already registered with an agent in the office.
Yours,
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
KLilly@RealtyontheGreene.com
The reason for the 2BR is because my family is expanding and this would be an upgrade. We have a toddler. Also due to the sizes of most apts in NY, we have had to downsize most of our belongings in a 1BR and pay extra money to get a storage unit for the items that we change out season to season.
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
As far as my credit, I've had to take full payment responsibility for a vehicle that I cosigned with because the other buyer refuses to pay and has refused for the last 3 years. Because the person was late in payments which I wasn't aware until the finance dept contacted it was too late. At the time this happened, I could not refinance nor trade because my credit was hit hard by this. So trying to be a good person, I used my credit and look where it has landed me. So trying to catch up with those payments (which by the way were very expensive) my other financial obligations took a hit as I attempted to get everything in order. So yes a domino effect occurred. I then was let go from my job in November and took an even bigger hit when I was unable to make full payments on some of my accounts. I have started working again since January and have made makeup payments to get back on track once again. So I've been a roller coaster for a while now.
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
Hi Merideth, give me a call @516.840.9748. I am a real estate professional in Williamsburg. Your credit scores are poor. However, there are several ways we can work around them. Although maybe a challenge,It's not something that should keep you from an apartment. I have several beautiful one bedrooms in bed Stuy. Give me a call.

Harry Peralta
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rapid Williamsburg Inc
516.840.9748
Hperalta@rapidnyc.nyc
Rapidnyc.com/hperalta
Web Reference: http://Rapidnyc.com
To answer your question you should be able to find an apartment in that price range, the scores are lower that landlords like but your combined incomes should be enough to work something ouut with landlords in the area.
most of the places i've found rejected my application because of my score
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014