Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Julieeileen, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Husband and I are moving from San Francisco to LA so that I can attend grad school @UCLA. We're looking to live in Culver City.

Asked by Julieeileen, Los Angeles, CA Wed Jul 20, 2011

Although I'll be going to Westwood at least 4-5 days/week, my husband will be commuting to South Pasadena for work. We have a large dog and are looking for a 2 BR 2 BA in an area near a park or some greenery for the dog. Any suggestions?

Also, by taking back roads and shortcuts, is my husband's commute from Culver City to South Pasadena likely to be under an hour? Thank you!

Answers

10
Julie Jordan’s answer
To answer your question NO. I think if I were you I would look into the Wilshire Vista Area which is near Farmers Market and the Grove. Los Feliz is another possiblity, this area would allow the commute for your husband under the hour most days. Your commute from the Los Feliz area you would take Wilton Place to Olympic Blvd 30 minutes most days,

If you need help finding a great place with the dog plese let me know.

Julie Jordan
213 243-0477
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 20, 2011
Hi Julie

My wife and I made the same move from San Francisco in 2006 and are now settled in Los Feliz. We're close to Griffith Park (the largest urban park in the US) for our dogs and it feels a bit like San Francisco on this side of town. The commute for your husband would be well under an hour and for you about 45 minutes depending on what time you left. I would also suggest Hollywood Hills East with Bronson Canyon and Beachwood Canyon which is right below the Hollywood sign.

I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts on this and other areas. I work with clients from Silverlake to Venice and know the areas well.

Douglas

213-422-6475
Web Reference: http://savproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 20, 2011
I think I suggested Culver City yesterday - and like Bill says you'll want to take the freeways as driving on the surface streets (back roads & shortcuts) from Culver City to Pasadena takes a real long time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 20, 2011
Dear Julie,
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but it's doubtful you can get to Pasadena in under an hour from Culver City. Los Angeles is very spread out, something people don't realize when first coming here. Also there is quite a bit of traffic to contend with as well.
.The drive to UCLA is short, from Culver City. I've taken that drive many times in rush hour and it takes about 30 minutes because one of our major streets goes directly to UCLA.

24 Year Resident of Culver City and Local Realtor
Congratulations on this new milestone in your life! Grad School at UCLA is something to definitely be proud of.
Culver City is a great area, I simply adore the small shops, restaurants, and that it is fairly close to the beach. What do you like about it? What made you choose that area?
Since you will have to commute to UCLA and your husband to South Pasadena, I would strongly suggest an area in the middle of both. A really great area would be around an outdoor shopping center called The Grove. The Grove is truly wonderful, it boasts shops, dining, movies, and the historical Farmer's Market. It is Culver City x12. Traffic would definitely be a lot less hectic.

I would love to show you the area and all that Los Angeles has to offer.
Give me a call the next time you are in the neighborhood!

Genesis Andrade
Rodeo Realty
Fine Estates Division
213.422.7941
Hi Julie Eileen,

Culver City is great, but still a drive (as opposed to a stroll) to UCLA and quite a drive to South Pasadena. I'm sure you have your reasons for not moving to South Pasadena or ot other north east neighbohoods, but you do get a great deal more for your money in So. Pasa
or Pasadena, etc. than you might in Culver City or other west side neighborhoods. I lived in South Pasadena and worked at UCLA for a few years and I never complained about the commute. NIow I live in West Hollywood and do a lot of work in South Pasadena which is not a bad commute either--but I do need to devote 30 to the drive no matter what. From Culver City to so. Pas., depending on traffic, one can count on a 40 minute commute, and I don't know of any short cut or backroad that'll make that commute any easier.
I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to live in Culver City, but if you check out So. Pas. and visit the parks, etc. you might consider living there....
Good luck with school and everything else!!!
Lynn Le glaire
323-219-4480
As Bill Hooper (whom I know personally) and I both work Culver City, an hour sounds reasonable, but variations should be expected. Going from West LA to Pasadena (proper), I've done anywhere from 35 min. to more than 2 hours. Typical for this longer run was 40-50 min. And there is a great Culver complex/location a mere hop onto the 10 fwy.
Hi Julieelleen:

Are you looking to rent in Culver City? There are many great units for rent in the area.

Feel free to give me a call and I can help you find a great place that will suite your needs.

Kat Becker, Agent
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
Hi Julie
More than half of the clients I work with is for relocation.

I agree with Douglas and Julie on their comments dated July 20th. Culver City offers a lot to its residents but in your case, if you really care about keeping the commute under 1h, then you might want to look at other areas like Los Feliz, North Hollywood, ect...

Now don't forget...it also depends on your budget and what you want to achieve with it.

Sometimes.... one just has to review the checklist and make compromises right? So make sure you work with an agent, this way you'll get the most knowledge and guidance in this exciting home hunting process.

Good luck and please contact me if you want me to help you!

Meryeme
Hi Julie,

A bigger challenge than the commuting issues will be to find a home that will take your large dog. Presently there is only one potential candidate on Keystone, which is the type of tree lined street you're looking for. It's a 2 bdrm, 1 bath single family home with a walled in back yard, priced at $2000 p/mo.

Culver City is close to the 10 freeway and the eastbound traffic flow to downtown is lighter in the AM and heavier in the PM. The easiest way to South Pasadena is the 10 East to the 110 North, less than an hour most days.

Best wishes,

Bill Hooper
RE/MAX Westside Properties
bhooper@remax.net