Rentals in 10543>Question Details

Orienta, Renter in Cotopaxi, CO

How to report a scam artist realstate agent?

Asked by Orienta, Cotopaxi, CO Thu Feb 17, 2011

I called a real estate egent about a listed apartmetn . He told me taht it was already rented and offered to see another apartmetn taht was not listed yet . he told me that the owner asked him to "look around". At teh time I had a broker, but he refused to deal with her. I submited an applicating, paid $100 but was dened without an explanation. Thsi seems very fishy to me. Can I do something about it?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 10543

Help the community by answering this question:


You submitted an application to whom?
Your agent should be doing these things for you and since you called another agent, on your own, you got into this mess. Find an agent, deal with them, and let them make offers for you. If you paid money to another agent as an application fee I would be looking for answers. That agent has a broker who is in charge - find them them and contact that broker ASAP.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011
You can file an ethics complaint with the Westchester/Putnam Board of Realtors.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
You can request to have the credit check you paid for given to you in writing, you may request what was a direct cause for them to make their decision, You paid way to much for a character and credit check to begin with. I could live on six rejections a week! If they were a Realtor, place a complaint with the local board or association of realtors. Your broker will receive a commission from the Renting agent if they finally rent to you, they normally get 25% of the overall commission, they are also very useless to you since they do nothing further for you than bring you to the rental agent! Tell this Rental Agent, you paid for a credit evaluation and a back ground check, since this was a fee to you, then you have a right to have written confirmation and written decision from this fee. Tell the agent that if you do not get this from them then you wish your fee returned to you or you will go to the Prosecuting attorney and also the state attorney for the state and area, you will also report them to the state agency that regulates their license! If it is for principle sake then take the issue to an attorney and sue them!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Your situation/question isn't clear, please explain.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
It sounds very fishy to me. I would check and see if this agent is a Realtor. You can easily check this at You can search by name. If they are a Realtor, they are obligated by the Realtor Code of Ethics to cooperate with other Realtors. Failure to do so is a violation. You should find an agent you feel comfortable with and let them help you find a place.

Donald A. Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Vice President - Westchester Putnam Association of Realtors
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Your own agent could have best protected you; unclear as to you paid the money to--if you paid the agent, contact his/her broker owner and or office manager and explain your concerns, if the chat is unsatisfactory, you can report the agent to the local realty board...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer