Rentals in Harlem>Question Details

Jean, Other/Just Looking in Harlem, New York, NY

How safe is living in Harlem NY?

Asked by Jean, Harlem, New York, NY Thu Dec 17, 2009

The area is 230 W. 125th street

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Harlem

Answers

29
Def’s answer
You can't generalize Harlem....... like the rest of NYC, it goes block by block. If you have conscientious, considerate neighbors, you will have good quality of life....if you have scum, quality of life may be compromised. My (Harlem) block is mostly owner occupied townhouses- it's like suburban living...your results may vary ;-).
Walk through the block you are interested in - during the evening rush hour- speak to some of the working people in the neighborhood. Working people don't hang out in the street-this is when you can catch them. Also walk or drive around the block , preferably on a Friday or Saturday night. This is when any 'characters' come out. You can ask also at the local precinct, but realize, COPS LIE! -lol (see: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/01/14/2011-01-…)

The NYPD publishes crime statistics on their website- you can search for your respective precinct by using the "precinct finder" then search "crime statistics" for that precinct-and hope for some reasonable measure of credibility ;-)!
My observation- many young urban professionals relocating here- starting families- bargain hunters....this can't be a bad thing.
Okay, this one's going to be long...I feel like so many of us repeatedly answer similar questions about Harlem, and I want to provide some personal info that might help.

Jean, I’ve lived in Harlem for a few years. I moved here in my twenties, I keep late hours, I ride the subway, and I bought my place to live in alone. These are all things that people ask when considering the neighborhood (though really, Harlem is made up of many neighborhoods), but based on my personal experience, I’m constantly advising buyers and renters to expand their search into Harlem.

As I posted elsewhere, I really love the value and the convenience to transportation. Because I'm situated between the 2/3 train and the 4/5/6 train, I can be almost anywhere in Manhattan within 30 minutes (except for the far west side of Midtown/Chelsea and Inwood, just because of how the trains run). Also, I love walking...I take my two dogs all over the place at night, I trained for two marathons in Central Park after dark, and I have often walked instead of taking the train home from the Theater District. Walking up 5th Avenue (along the park, past the Met) when everything’s quieted down for the day is so beautiful, and across the street, there's a doorman or two in just about every block. The biggest threat to my safety--and I would stress that I am ONLY talking about my experience here--have been the raccoons clambering around.

Of course, the #1 factor in deciding where to live is your comfort. If you don't feel safe, you won't enjoy your home. I nearly bought a condo in a completely different area--until I did my weekday evening commute as a test run the night before I put down the deposit. I realized the area was not for me, because often I come home after midnight, and I largely rely on public transportation.

Where I live, there’s been a resurgence of neighborhood pride, as more and more people who are proud to call Harlem home have taken an active role in keeping it clean. My most consistent community are the dog owners in our neighborhood park, who sponsor regular park clean-up days. People bring donuts and coffee, have bake sales to raise money for equipment, and spend hours raking the wood chips that the city drops off. In the summers, some of the outdoor picnics (and the infamous, but IMHO awesome drum circles) can be boisterous, but once you make some friends, it's fun to stop over at the meat market and pick up chicken or ribs to grill.

No neighborhood is "perfect"...I put that in quotes because I doubt we could ever find a consensus on what constitutes perfection. I know that I chose Harlem after an exhaustive search that took me to Williamsburg, Morningside Heights, Long Island City, Bushwick, Battery Park City, Washington Heights, the UES and UWS, and all over Jersey City and several different Harlem neighborhoods. There were things I liked everywhere. Ultimately, I loved my apartment, I loved the value, I loved the comparatively low expenses of supermarkets and other amenities, and I loved the proximity to just about everywhere I wanted to go. Also, I personally chose a part of Harlem that is quieter in the evenings, but there are plenty of restaurants, bars, and other fun stuff popping up all over the place. It's really just a matter of what you want outside your front door.

If you're searching, it is my humble opinion that no matter who you are, Harlem has a lot to offer. Please don't be swayed by family or friends who aren't familiar with the city; unfortunately, there are some powerful stereotypes that haven't gone away...but then again, that's why living here is more affordable than a lot of places!

One more thing: I have a dear friend who moved with her husband many years ago to what is now a very high-end building on Central Park West, near the Museum of Natural History. The terrace that spans the length of their 26th-floor apartment directly faces Central Park. I have another friend who was one of the first people I know to move down to the Financial District. In both cases, my friends were told by well-intentioned people around them that they were crazy to move there, that they were going to get mugged or shot or worse, that they would lose all their money, etc etc etc. Hindsight shows us that those were both very, VERY good investments. So really, I suppose the lesson is to trust your own gut, not someone else's preconceptions. Try out your commute, run the numbers, look all over the place, and compare and contrast what you find.

And if you'd ever like a search, a tour, or a chat, I'd be happy to tell you anything else I can that might be helpful.

-Kate-
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Hey Kate, I really enjoy your view of the area!!!! I am looking to relocate from SC to NY and will be working in Union Square if I take the position I was offered. Can you give me advice on good neighborhoods in Harlem??? I am trying to spend between $1600-$2000.
Flag Mon Apr 28, 2014
dont go by the nypd's statistics, in harlem they have a no snitching policy so most of the crimes go unreported except by the yuppies that move in that get jacked left and right. that combined with the fact that the police department is under a lot of pressure to reduce crime constantly thus downgrading classes of crime or altogether making them disappear on paper. the real estate agents avoid calling it harlem, instead they've tried to coin the name soha for south harlem, lol. but the truth is, it's still harlem and i know that there are many black neighborhoods that have been gentrified and the racial make up has changed, but harlem in particular is considered by them to be the heart of african-american culture which adds to the hostility towards newcomers if they aren't black looking at them as a threat trying to push them out. the real estate people will bring you by and show you around on a tuesday at 10 am, and you'll think "well this doesnt look so bad, and there are some nice looking classic buildings from the outside", but you should drive through on a friday night at 10pm, but keep your doors locked and don't stop for anything, you'll catch a glimpse of what it will be like living there. there are also shootings all the time, but they don't pay too much attention to the atrocities that occur there in the news for some reason.. makes you wonder.. bottom line, you will be targeted if you're not black, and there is a good chance you will be robbed or assaulted at point or another.. if you value your life stay away!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 27, 2013
This is a ridiculous comment! I have lived in Harlem for many years. After living in neighborhoods like the Hollywood Hills and South Pasadena, West Hollywood. I see no difference besides a larger African American Community which to a racist person might be a little scary. I can see why this persons comment is totally outrageously ignorant. I have never heard of a no snitching policy. I wonder how would this person know about such things anyway. The only policy to abide by is to be a good respectable neighbor to pay your rent or mortgage and take good care of your family. I do not understand what people see when they move up here. I live close to 125th Street and it is very quiet after 10 pm You may see neighbors out walking their dogs or running to the corner store to buy snacks or hailing a cab. Also with the many restaurants that deliver food you will always see food delivery by bike or moped. You will even see the larger food and beverage delivery. I have never seen anything out of the ordinary. The neighborhood is very nice and the neighbors are very kind. People in general are very nice and no one targets anyone. Speaking of shootings I was by Penn Station a year ago and the cops were shooting at someone there. Unfortunately crime happens all over this city. The good citizens of harlem leave it up to the most respectable police officers and detectives to deter and solve crimes. There is always a great police presence in Harlem. Fortunately today it is positive and not negative. As far as the comment that Caucasian people will eventually be targeted or robbed is the most ludicrous idiotic statement that I have ever heard in my life. There are millionaires who live in Harlem and maybe by now billionaires. Most of the Harlem Brownstones and Penthouses that are close to Central Park are well worth over 2 or 3 million by now and millions of people want to live in Harlem. Because it is the most respectable, historical and Eclectic neighborhoods in the world.
Flag Fri Sep 13, 2013
You mention all of the Law Abiding Citizens that you get along with. Does that mean everyone else is not a law abiding citizen?(just asking) When you speak the way you speak it is hard not to assume. Good for you if you did every thing you said you did to stop crime. And good for the law abiding cops that helped you. But, I say what crime? Did you stop the crime in Times Square? or in Hell's Kitchen? Or maybe the Meatpacking District? If you look at the statistics all over the city I think you would be afraid to walk out of your apartment. Unless you are a cop with a police radio I do not know how you are seeing what you say you are seeing. I watch the News and I here about all sorts of crazy things happening all over the city but I do not fixate on one neighborhood. But again to write some of the things you have just written is still very offensive to me. Everyone that I know of in Harlem including my neighbors of over 10 years as well as myself are law abiding citizens. Now you write about kids running drugs in Harlem which is completely false and absurd and not true. You are just throwing any thing out there to confuse us and to confuse anyone who might consider moving to Harlem.You say that there was no prosecution which is totally absurd because of age.There was no prosecution because it didn't happen. How dare you speak about the great parents of Harlem writing that "They let they're kids deal drugs" You have spoke about Bordello's and Dog fighting. Totally not true What else bad do have to say about this great neighborhood? Are the black squirrels and the birds flying by your window also dealing crack? Do you think every woman of color you walk by in Harlem works at a Bordello? Better yet do you think every dog you see being walked in Harlem is on they're way to a dog fight? And as for your last question as to why I assumed the original poster was being racist for asking about the safety of the neighborhood. Well I was an apprentice in real estate for a while and thats all people ask when they are considering moving to Harlem. If someone were moving to 72nd and Central Park West they rarely ask "How safe is the neighborhood? An Actress moving from Texas will most likely ask "how safe is the neighborhood if they were moving to Harlem but not 59th Street. I have lived in Germany,France, and grew up in and lived in very affluent neighborhoods. I know for a fact that people are more prone to be sterotyped in an area such as Harlem when in fact all they are, they are just everyday people. I have walked to the store and have seen the horror on white peoples faces that have just moved to the neighborhood and the sad part about it. If I am standing waiting for the light and they walk by they will turn there heads away to avoid eye contact. And I say to myself What is this all about? The worse thing is when you are walking with your family and this happens and you have to give your kids a lesson in race relations. It can be very confusing unless you dont have a grip on whats happening. Again you say you get along with law abiding citizens. I hate to burst your bubble but they're are people on Wall Street, People in the Senate and even your neighborhood Cop at the precinct who are not law abiding citizens. How can you really know. I treat every one with respect and I expect the same treatment. I respect authority when authority repects me. I am in awe of the Police Commissioner of New York City and think he has done a good job at keeping us all safe. I loathe the police officers who abuse and misuse there authority. Also I have done my homework about the crime all over the city as well as the other 4 boroughs. I suggest you do the same and stop focusing on the sterotypical lingo you use to describe this great Harlem neighborhood. If you say the crime statistics have dropped tremendously for 2011 then we all should be glad and you should refrain from using negative hurtful terms such as "Bordello", "Dog Fighting" and "Crack Dealing Kids" from your vocabulary!!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 30, 2011
Dude, Semerun I don't know where you are living but it is not in Harlem. I have lived here since the year 2001 and I have not seen all of the crazy shenanigans you speak of. First of all I dont know what you've been smoking. But you are way out of line by posting such comments. I am not racist, you sound racist. Talking about all the crack dealers and kids being chased by machetes sounds like a very bad script you just wrote. You say People like you turned the neighborhood around with the cops. What about the people who have lived here all of there lives and raised there families and do a damn good job of it. What about people like me. Every one who lives in Harlem has helped to make this neighborhood what is. A great place to live!!!!! I dont know what race you are but you sound like the kind of person that would look at a person on the street and assume they were what ever you wanted them to be. Another thing there is absolutely never was and never will be any meth in Harlem. Also, I have never seen anyone dealing crack. What I have seen are people in other neighborhoods that are supposed to be so great standing out in the open smoking pot. I have seen it at Central Park when people take there blankets and wine bottles to see classical concerts. The cops are never called. As a matter of fact they are usually standing right there taking it all in. Also if there is ever any mishap or crime in the West or East Villiage or Soho it is immediatly forgotten about and the neighborhood returns back into a place of glory that is so great. I am tired of people like you and your comments that degrade people of color and where they live. It sounds like you are trying to scare people away from the neighborhood and keep these great realtors from selling property in Harlem. The best prime real estate is in Harlem. If crime was so bad why didn't you just sell your property and move. I have never seen the blatant things you speak of. I will assume if you saw crack dealers then you must have called them yourself!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 29, 2011
I have lived in Harlem for over 10 years and I would to say this is the best and safest neighborhood I have ever lived in. One thing I hate is when scared white people come to the neighborhood and act like they have stepped onto Rikers Island. It is racial profiling when you come to the neighborhood thinking you are immedialely going to get robbed or worse. I have lived here for a long time and I have yet to see one drug deal. Crimes happen all over the city whether you are in the West Villiage, Soho or Harlem you have to always be aware of your surroundings. Harlem is the best neighborhood and safest place to live in New York City. I would not rely on the white racist cops to tell you other wise. They profile people every day in this area and get in alot of trouble for it. Make sure you ask a afro american cop who is also not racist. But, still it is very offensive to me when I read articles of whites asking how safe is Harlem. Again to answer you question again, Harlem is the safest neighborhood you could ever live in. Most people have lived here for over 20 or more years and have raised there families. You have good hard working people living in Harlem also artist, musicans, Dancers. Famous retired rappers and families of famous recording artist and actors. The best part is you are close to trains A,B,C,D trains 1,2,3 trains. You can take the bus or take a cab. You can acually walk to Central Park , 59th Street mall, Times Square you will be within walking distance to all major stores Target, Old Navy, H&M, Bed Bath & Beyond William-Sonoma. Also grocery stores to mention a few. The best supermarkets in the world "Fairway" Bravo,Finefare,Costco,BJ's, C-Town. Not to mention all the fabulous restuarants. Harlem Barbecue, Dinosaur Barbecue, Applebee's "Manna's' and bakery's "Bake my Cake" If you have a phobia for people of color then by all means live below 69th Street. What grinds my gears is seeing white people come into my Harlem neighborhood looking at everyone like they are all criminals,crackheads or drug dealers. Oh, and just because you see money changing hands that dose'nt mean you saw a drug deal. One time I gave my son money to run across the street and get a soda these white people walking by looked at us like we were aliens now I no why. I told my son that they probably think we are doing a drug deal. We laughed but still this disgusted both of us. Since that incident I have never given him money in the streets. This is just an example of how someones racist profiling can affect someones life. If you think all black people are robbers, drug dealers and every other negative stereo type you can think of then by all means don't bring your pompous racist negativity to my great neighborhood!!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 29, 2011
Hi Jean,

It is true that Realtors can't answer this question due to Fair Housing Laws, but you can reference the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/realestate/09living.html?s…

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/realestate/17livi.html?scp…

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/realestate/05livi.html?scp…

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/10/realestate/10livi.html?scp…

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
914-315-6182
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 26, 2010
I am not a real estate professional so I am providing the link to the NYPD web site for Crime Stats (28th Precinct). I live in a different section of Harlem (30th Precinct) and the trends are similar. In the 4 years of residing here the initial two years were a bit rough but the police have really made significant progress- with just 2 weeks remaining in 2009, crime year to date is down about 19%, absolutely remarkable. I still witness some petty drug dealing, but the neighborhoods are cleaning up fast. Even in this terrible economy, new businesses are coming into the neighborhood- and old ones cleaning up their act as they compete. My larger concern right now is whether foreclosures will significantly impact the community and whether it will reverse the gains that Harlem has made.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2009
Hi there,

Due to FAIR HOUSING LAWS, agents/brokers are not allowed in any way to discuss "safety of a neighborhood, building and/or house."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 17, 2009
Listen, if you're scared of Harlem. It's most likely because you're scared of living amongst blacks and latinos. Harlem gentrification will never include eliminating minorities from the neighborhood. In fact, more and more black professionals keep moving in.

So if black people make you nervous, don't move there just so you can melodramatically clutch your bag every time you pass someone with plentiful pigmentation.
The "good" news is, you will encounter LOTS of this attitude in Harlem !
So if you can put up with that, help yourself.
Flag Tue Nov 5, 2013
You'd have to do your due diligence as agents are not allowed to answer questions like that. Please use a search engine or public records for the information you seek

David Del Rio
http://www.aclawrence.com/1487
I have an 18 year old friend going to school in that exact location. Let's just say she is from Long Island and sticks out like a sore thumb. She has made a ton of friends there and a sense of safety.She still won't walk around late at night. I wouldn't walk around by myself late at night ANYWHERE. I don't think location matters, people everywhere have the same abilities. Keep yourself protected, invest in mace. It saves lives.
That's a great question, I would refer you to the NYPD website. They'll list the stats for you, and in the meantime if there's anything I can assist with regarding real estate. I'd be honored to help, good luck.

Tony Lara
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg Realty
127 East 56th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 688-1000 x 435 (tel)
Although this discussion arose a number of years ago, may people wonder this when speaking to them on the phone about areas of Manhattan. Living in Harlem present day has been one of the MOST exhilarating experiences as reported to me by numerous folks that I work with. Harlem has always been rich in culture and trend, during the last several years an undertaking of renewal has been a sincere focus! With sidewalk eateries, revamped parks for the children, outstanding nightlife erupting. Harlem is ALL the rage.

As it is centrally located in Manhattan, where living (although on the RISE financially) is not as high priced as some lower Manhattan neighborhoods and with being a mere 5minutes from midtown, it makes this "Village" an exciting and affordable place to be. Harlem is perfect for the single person, wanting to work and mingle; the family, who has coordinate child care in between tight work schedules; the adventurist, looking for something different and unique-its really perfect for every one.

You will find everyone from Wall Street executives to those just starting out in Harlem and that certainly speaks for itself. The things that you will not find in neighborhoods that are not safe are folks jogging at 2 in the morning, people walking their Labrador retrievers at all hours of the day, tour buses with generations of people wanting to get off and explore... THIS is what you'll find in Harlem present day! I do hope that answered your question and for ANY more details abot this or any topic pertaining to lifestyle, realty and the like, here is where you can find me...

Shanequa Charles
New York State Licensed Real Estate Agent
Midtown West Manhattan Real Estate
432 W38th Street
New York, New York 10018
347-865-4100
http://www.ShanequaCharles.com
Shanequa.Charles5@gmail.com
Harlemite your comment is so rascist. Harlem is a part of New York City a part of Manhattan but is often compared to a ghetto or a prison. (Not True) This to me is still the coolest neighborhoods in all of the 5 burroughs. I suppose you will find all kinds of characters and types you speak of all over the world but they are not all situated in Harlem. This place has gotten a bad rep for years. Quality of life: Is not abysmal compared to the rest of NYC. There is not litter and garbage every where mean of you to say that littering is a popular hobbie in Harlem. ( So, Not True) People here take pride in keeping they're neighborhood clean and safe. So tired these racist comments thrown out there to make people think that the quality of life in Harlem is sub-human compared to the rest of New York City. Every negative connotation is thrown out there to make others think that this place is a ghetto or the most dangerous place to live on earth. I say to you home owners who are so, negative and have so many rascist and negative things to say about Harlem "Why dont you move!!!!! People like you destroy a whole community with your words. Insinuating that the people who live here in Harlem that are happy must have set lower standards for living and must be living a sub-human life style is so absurd. This neighborhood is not cut off from the rest of Manhattan as far as food service you can order all types of cuisine and have it delivered to your front door. I have over 100 menu's in my menu drawer from restuarants that deliver food from 72nd Street past 125th Street. Your comments are to divide and confuse people to the quality of life here. There are beautiful buildings built by famous respectful architect's. A walk through Harlem is like a walk through history. This neighborhood rich in culture is not what is often dipicted. The people who always have something nagative to say about Harlem are miserable rascist people who only focus on the bad and see good in nothing. It is really bad to speak of people and they're families like they are animals. Crime happens all over the city not just in certain neighborhoods. There are some people who need help and others who don't. I dare not speak bad of the ill and of people who may not be smarter than others. It's just plain not nice.
Hi, You can contact the local police precinct for stats or visit http://www.homefair.com and/or http://www.spotcrime.com for in-depth reports on any zip code.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Danni, Thumbs up! I never got called names to my face but I give you a great deal of credit for sticking it out during a period that was extremely difficult. I too am proud to be a Harlem Resident (despite the difficulties I have faced living here). I may have only moved here less than 6 years ago, but I have a multi-generational relationship with Harlem for more than 80 years on both sides of my family. The community has improved significantly in the time I have resided here- but it is still not equivalent to the UWS or UES. One thing that is a constant in this city is that things change, neighborhoods change and that is among the reasons why I bought here. My commute to lower Manhattan is typically about 30 minutes on the express train and the architectural uniqueness found in Sugar Hill captured my imagination. I am a long term bull on the future of Harlem. Columbia University investing $6-7 billion into Harlem for their campus expansion only strengthened my position. City College spending another few hundred million on their campus expansion was icing.

Sure robberies do occur in all parts of Manhattan-despite how safe it seems. I have also seen behaviors from the naive that don't help matters- i.e. walking down the street paying no attention to their surroundings watching their iPads and iPhones.

There are still many problems in Harlem, but the community is improving- and generally speaking, safe. I did witness the dog fights, the bordello and the crack dealing children several years back- but they are gone now. I can provide all the evidence in the world, but the doubters will continue to look to back their position- so I will not waste my time. President Obama let the "Birthers" continue their rants and raves build up until it embarrassed them when he finally provided his long form birth certificate. My point is that in this day and age of internet search, I have no reason to provide proof- when someone with a bit of time and curiosity can do the same search themselves.

There are still some small time drug dealers, illegal motor bike riders, etc... but the scale of the problem isn't even close to what it was a few years back. As I have said in other threads, I am more concerned about unemployment and foreclosures impact on Harlem than my immediate concern of crime. Due to the "Pretend and Extend" policy of the governments around the world and the US as well as with the banks - the problem will not disappear anytime soon. We may still be dealing with the foreclosure issue for a few more years unless something changes. I understand that there have been hardly any foreclosures in Manhattan, but that doesn't mean the financial distress isn't occurring.
I am a real estate broker and member of Community Board. I moved to Harlem over 23 years ago when the crack epidemic was waining. I was told to go back where I came from on a daily basis, called names I can't print here and told I think I'm better. But I stuck it out and some of those same people now call me friend, come to me for advice and I know they have my back in addition to watching out for my daughter. I am proud to be a Harlemite. Help us to make Harlem a place for all. By the way, I'm African American.

If you and others feel they must leave, consider me to sell your home.
All the Best
Safety: Keep in mind that along with the projects, there is a heavy concentration of social service housing everywhere in Harlem: Ex-cons (including sex offenders), drug rehab, methadone clinics, and similar. The management of welfare recipients, indigents, etc. is one of the few growth industries in NYC and this is evident in Harlem.

There have been many shootings and stabbings, including recently. There are also many robberies, where a small gang or pair of young people grab the belongings of their targets and run. These robberies occur on the subway platform as well. The area adjacent to Morningside Park is even worse given the bonus of the weekend barbecue crowd and all of their garbage, noise, drinking, and the illegal motor bike riders.

Contacting the precincts will not necessarily provide much information. There are major development interests in Harlem, and therefore also an interest in keeping such things on the quiet side.

Quality of life: Often, abysmal, especially in comparison the rest of NYC - although, this does depend on your lifestyle. Amenities, restaurants (food and service), and so on operate at levels significantly below what you will find in other neighborhoods.

Litter, litter, litter and garbage everywhere. Littering is one of the most popular hobbies in Harlem, and walking every day on sidewalks that bear the mess of last night's street festivities, well, it gets old. It is also very unhealthy. Beautiful buildings but surrounded by ghetto.

Far too many children and adolescents are unsupervised in Harlem, and they roam the streets at all hours of the day and night.

Assume that some of the posters below have a financial interest in Harlem and want people to move in. But many people are quietly moving out. It would be smarter for people to discuss the problems honestly once and for all, therefore moving toward resolving them, but thus far, this is not really happening. The race card is usually played very early on (just like in Harlem, every day !) and I believe this intimidates people.

Oh, and, YES. There is dog fighting and drug dealing with children as participants.
I most certainly do live in Harlem- Community Board 9 and I ran my condo board for a couple of years. Most residents in the building went blissfully along with their lives because they didn't have to deal with the nightly activities that routinely occurred. Since I ran the building, I was required to address many problems caused by the out of control kids. I also routinely attended the Police Community Board meetings- which backed what I previously wrote. If you never saw most of what I saw and heard, that would make you no different than most of the residents in my building- and for that I am glad. Nothing wrong with a little innocence- as long as you don't sell a vision to people that never existed.

I would say open your eyes to reality...but it is too late, the worst of the crime in Harlem is gone.

As to the gang chasing kids down the street with Machette's- they are a well known Dominican gang that started in Washington Heights. Do some research- you have google just as accessible as I do. As to the crack dealers- yes I did call the police myself as did other neighbors- and the drug dealers are gone. They were using children no older than 10 years old to sell the drugs- too young to be prosecuted. The crime was real.

As far as you thinking that I am racist- I get along fine with the law abiding neighbors- no matter what their color. FYI- most are of color. Stop assuming.

You still never addressed why you assumed the original poster was trying to be racist and assuming.
The facts are the facts. When I review my precinct's numbers (even if you think the police lie about the actual numbers- the trends don't lie)...Overall crime 2010 compared to 2001...DOWN 35.79%. That indicates a radical change- and if the original poster was only told how crime ridden Harlem was...they would have had good reason unless they knew a more current picture- which I provided. My Precinct is just 1 out of 6 precincts that cover the various sections of Harlem...I posted the links to each precinct awhile back. So do your homework before you comment.
Sheron, The original poster's race is unknown, so why would you assume that they are white or that the posting indicates racism? The original poster's question was valid. I live in the 30th Precinct which is the Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill neighborhood of Harlem- and when I bought here in 2005 crime was high at the time, but I looked past that and looked at all of the improvements taking place- and felt it was a worthwhile risk. Most of the other owners in the building were somewhat clueless- but because I lived on the ground floor street facing apartment- I witnessed everything first hand. The crack dealers were working 2 feet from my bedroom window...and yes, it was crack and meth (they left in a hurry a couple of times and I was able to verify later with the police who confiscated the stash). There were the dog fights with betting across the street, the brothel a few doors down, the gangs chasing kids down the street with a machete, etc. The crime was real...but people like me and others that cared about the block/neighborhood fought back- and working with the police, we really turned things around in just a few years.The transformation is amazing.

Honestly, Sheron's response is dripping with racism ( I doesn't matter what color Sheron is...what matters is that the comments made a lot of negative statements and assumptions regarding race).

As to a previous poster commenting that the police lie, well even if you don't believe the numbers- the year over year trends are more important- and generally speaking will reflect what you can witness with you own eyes if you are alert.

To anyone else reading this considering the neighborhood- crime was up in 2010 compared to 2009, but 2009 was a remarkable year- and hit multi decade lows. 2011 is trending relatively flat compared to last year.
Asked and answered previously. Please disregard error prone brokers.

230 West 125th Street is clearly the 28th Precinct. The link for the Precinct finder will verify.

Why do brokers frequently insist on posting incorrect information.

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/building/230-west-125-street-manhattan
Joe Runfola's answer meant well but was poorly phrased. Harlem is actually protected by 6 separate NYPD precincts (Broken up by the 3 distinct sections of Harlem- East, Central or West and can be further broken up into smaller distinct micro-neighborhoods i.e. Mount Morris Park,Sugar Hill, etc).
The 23rd Precinct manages East Harlem- southern section
The 25th Precinct manages East Harlem- northern section
The 28th Precinct manages Central Harlem- southern section
The 32nd Precinct manages Central Harlem- northern section
The 26th Precinct manages West Harlem- southern section
The 30th Precinct manages West Harlem- southern section.
East, central, or west. Harlem is protected by 3 separate NYPD precincts, so a more specific area will result in a more accurate answer.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Hi Jean, you should really check with the local police and sheriffs departments in Harlem/NYC for this data. They will have the most accurate information. A realtor can't really give you a fully "legal" opinion on this issue for a variety of reasons related to real estate laws and professional liability.
Any area can be safe or dangerous..even in Peoria! They key is being aware of your surroundings, taking simple precautions and not making yourslef a target.
And in Harlem safety is secondary to the great food you can get at Sylvias.
I've lived in Harlem for over 20 years and raised my daughter here. I suggest you take a walk around the area you are interested in. Try morning, evening and Saturday or Sunday for your stroll. It's your comfort level that's important.

Crime stats are posted on line at the 28th police station web site. Contact Community Board 10 for more info, 212.749.3105. Ms. Bain, District Manager or Chair Franc Perry are available to highlight points of interest.

Danni Tyson
your Harlem Real Estate Guide
Halstead Property LLC
175 Lenox Ave.
New York, NY 10026
212.381.2588

Harlem is the new Black!
Web Reference: http://Www.halsteads.com
If you concerned about safety, why not visit the local police department and ask all your questions--they'll gladly answer and you'll be happy to have heard the information firsthand.

Anna
Dear Jean,

The statement that Nick made regarding Fair Housing Laws are correct; however, I've included a web reference at the bottom where you can compare NYC crime statistics per neigborhood. In the end Statistics are just that and you have to visit and/ or speak to friends/ residents of a particular neighborhood on their personal experiences, combine that with the crime statistics and your personal feeling/ comfort when you're there visiting. Hopefully this will give you a clearer picture about the safety as you're expecting it.

Anoir Redouane
Professional Real Estate Consultant
Halstead Property, LLC - SoHo
451 W Broadway
New York, NY 10012
T: 212-381-4209
F: 646-775-4290
ARedouane@Halstead.com