Rentals in 90005>Question Details

Lance Wright, Renter in 90029

How safe are the advertised apartments on Trulia. I have heard a lot about possible scams and want to be sure it is safe.

Asked by Lance Wright, 90029 Wed Mar 12, 2014

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 90005

Answers

6
Watch out for listing that have originated from sites like postlets & craigslist.

This blog offers some great tips & info re: rental scams:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/Trevolyn/2013/11/could_it_be_a_re…
Always call a REALTOR for assistance, never send anyone any money and never sign anything unless you are 100% sure you are dealing with the right people.
Rule of thumb, if you can't meet a landlord in person then don't venture into a deal.

Chris
Great answer Chris, I agree!
Flag Thu Mar 13, 2014
You may see a problem when it comes to rentals. If the home is listed and being marketed by a licensed agent, the chances are you are safe. The problem starts when they allow anyone to post ads in rentals. Many are scams, there are ads on homes not even for rent, not even by the owners and often at much less than market rent. You should never rent a home sight unseen, never wire money, never mail money over seas, If the rent sounds too goo to be true, it usually is.
Rentals listed by a licensed real estate professional should be safe. I say should be because I suppose some of US might be fooled as well, but not very likely. Here are some 'safety' tips. If they ask you to wire money to a bank account, especially an over seas bank account, run the other direction, FAST! If they say, 'ignore that for sale sign in the front yard, we were going to sell but changed our minds', run the other direction FAST! And, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Some are real and safe..............some aren't

When in doubt, reach out to a local agent for verification that you are dealing with the real owner.

However...here are a few tips to help you recognize a scammer:

1. the rent price seems too good to be true.....unusually low (they use real photos from real listings, so don't be fooled just because you see real pics.......they cut and paste them and create fake listings)

2. they give you some story about how they are out of the area and cannot show you the home in person......they can be very creative.......sometimes they are "missionaries" and doing God's work.......one said he was disabled..........they will go to all extremes to make it seem as though they only want you to rent their home.........they may even tell you you can go to the home and peek inside (many of these homes are vacant).

3. they may ask you to fill out an online "application"......it may ask for personal information - don't do it

4. Here comes the biggest red flag......this is where they try to steal your money - they ask you to WIRE MONEY for the keys...............NEVER do that!

Keep the above tips in mind - if you see any of them playing out before you.................RUN in the opposite direction!

Thanks a bunch Debra, I was recently contacted via e-mail by a so called owner of a house I was interested in and who also claimed to be a missionary in Nigeria who sent me an application online. Thank God I contacted an agent and found out that was a fraud and a scam.
Flag Tue Mar 18, 2014