Rentals in Austin>Question Details

Marc Mcquain, Renter in Austin, TX

How often are the posted rents negotiable?

Asked by Marc Mcquain, Austin, TX Thu Aug 8, 2013

I suspect the answer may be sometimes or it depends but I lived places where nothing was negotiable and others where everything had to be negotiated. How about things like lawn care, pool maint., washer/dryer, etc.

Thanks!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Austin

Answers

9
Bruce Lynn’s answer
Everything is negotiable, but it may be up not down in this market.
We regularly have people bidding over asking price to lock a place up.
So you want pool maintenance....maybe $100/month more on rent.
You want yard care...maybe another $100/200.

These days i say it is not a matter of what the owner is willing to do or take, they might do more and take less, but it is a matter of what your competition is willing to take....so owner gets two applications yours wanting to negotiate rent, repairs, upkeep, and #2 is willing to pay $100/month more and not hassle the owner. They might take #2.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
The chances are slim, but it's worth a shot. I was actually successful last week on getting a rent reduced by $25 for some clients. However, that property was already vacant and had been on the market just over 40 days... It's pretty unlikely if the property hasn't been listed at least a couple weeks.
Marc
I don't want to be the barer of the bad news but...

I have recently helped a few clients get lease homes. The last 3 were multiple offers and the leases all went for over the listed asking price. These were in some good locations like you are asking about. I am meeting someone today for a property I am representing the landlord on. It has a pool too. I didn't even get a sign up in the yard before I had a prospective tenant. There will be a pool maintenance agreement at the tenant's cost, a yard maintenance agreement at the tenants cost, a pet fee as well as a pet deposit plus a nice monthly rent.

Competition is intense in most cases & areas. My guess is that f you ask for any discounts another applicant will be chosen and you wont even get a call back. Asking for discounts is something I have no problem doing but always tell my clients that they will be at peril. Best wishes.
In the last 6 months I have not seen anyone in Austin negotiate a lower rent. There is just too much demand and not enough supply.

I have asked for many of my clients, but landlords know that they will most likely receive many qualified applicants for a property, and many will be willing to pay market value (or more).

Best
Eric
Agree.
Flag Fri Aug 9, 2013
Anything is negotiable; however, in a hot leasing market you may find landlords not being flexible as they know the next tenant will come along soon. I would suggest working with a local realtor to help you.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Marc,

The worse that can happen is the landlord can say no. I would have your Realtor ask just in case! The leasing market is so hot right now that there might not be room for negotiation. You should definitely give it a try.

Best wishes,
Melissa Galvan
KW Realty
mgalvan@kw.com
512-773-5735
As the previous agent mentioned, one can try to negotiate anything. However, appliances are or are not included, so not much to negotiate there. You would find it hard to have a landlord paying for pool maintenance, sometimes lawn care is included because the landlord wants to be sure it is maintained, but most of the time, you will have to maintain it (You can hire someone, of course). The rental market in Austin is quite hot and there isn't much room for negotiation, especially if the property has been recently listed, which brings me to the other question you asked about availability after posting. Are you asking about posting on Trulia? It could be available immediately or within a certain number of days, there is no rule.

To answer your last question about "better neighborhoods", that's something subjective and you have to decide. You will be able to rent the "best" neighborhood your money can buy. Rents can go from low $1000s to anywhere, it all depends what you want and what you can afford.

The best thing is to contact me, tell me what you are looking for, what price and I can then advise you where and what you can lease and assist you with finding the right place.

Vivanne Dordea
Sierra Homes Realty
512-554-5997
Marc,

It seems you have asked several good questions and received several good responses. Coincidentally, my wife and I are wrapping up a 3-day tour of these same areas (Lakeway/Steiner) with a family that is also relocating from outside the U.S.

To try to get to all three of your questions:

- Difficult to say what the "better" neighborhoods are. Really depends on what you think is "better." Schools appear to play a major role in your decision, and there are several metrics by which one can rate their preferences. You appear to be rather internet literate and I am sure you have done your homework here. We are happy to discuss your findings and needs personally.

- Rentals are generally ready within 30 days of being listed. Typically this is because most leases have a 30-day notice and the landlord won't post a listing until notice has been given.

- Rents are certainly negotiable. A quick search in your general price range reveals homes that have been available to rent for between 6 - 95 days. Recently rented homes were on the market for up to 69 days. The longer it has been on the market, the more likely the landlord is to negotiate terms. Landlords need renters!

Call, text or email me at your convenience. I look forward to visiting with you to determine if we are a good match to work with each other in your efforts to find a home for your family.

Peace in your home,

Doug Vogelsass
REALTOR :: Agents for Change Real Estate

mobile :: (512) 739-0457
email :: doug@myagentsforchange.com

10% of our net agent fees at the closing of our client's property will be donated to a charitable organization of their choice. We do this with ALL clients. This is our way of expressing our appreciation to both our clients and the worthy causes dedicated to the betterment of our communities.

9600 Escarpment Blvd :: Suite 745-75 :: Austin, TX :: 78749
Sponsoring broker :: David Komie, Attorney-at-Law (License# 584762).
Hi Marc,

Everything as it relates to private property is negotiable. The problem is Austin is such a hot market right now that landlords don't really have to capitulate much. I never hesitate to ask though.

Dan Burstain, Realtor
JB Goodwin Realtors
cell: 512-588-3260
Dan@JBGoodwin.com