Rentals in Cambridge>Question Details

Elizabeth Pe…, Renter in

How long can an apartment hunt last in Cambridge? What kind of price can I expect as a young professional looking for a room in a shared residence?

Asked by Elizabeth Perez, Fri Sep 27, 2013

I'm moving to the Cambridge area for a job offer, and I'm looking to spend no more than $850 for a room in a shared apartment/house/residence. I'm wondering if this is feasible, and how long can I expect my apartment hunt to last while in Boston.

Thanks!
Liz

Answers

3
I would use a local rental professional to save time and money and also to make sure you don't miss a great rental.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Elizabeth,

You just need some good preparation and a few opportunities.

First of all, as far as searching for a roommate situation, the best resource is Craigslist, they have a roommate section. Although you'll get a lot of spam there as well. You can both post what you are looking for as well as search for what already exists.

Next, you should have realistic expectations for what you can get for $850/mo. If your goal is to live in Cambridge, then the $850/mo budget isn't enough for a 2bd, but possibly a 3 or 4 bed, but then you would have been be far from the Redline. Maybe East Cambridge or North Cambridge. I know of one two bed in North Cambridge for $1750 and one for $1800 (which could become a 3bd for $2000). You should also be looking in Somerville.

Additionally---how certain are you on living with a large group of strangers? If you can be flexible on your location, it is possible for you to find a place that is driving distance to Cambridge for close the budget you mention. I know there's a studio right now in Medford for $925, I've seen listings in Everett for $800-$995. And the best deal I know of at the moment is a 1 bed condo with HT/HW/Parking and Swimming Pool in East Arlington for $1175.
Your best bet is to find some roommates and then look for an apartment together or go in on an established situation perhaps on a roommate swap or someone who just moved out and is looking to replace a roommate. 2 bedroom apartments can run from $1900 as high as $5000 per month in Cambridge depending on location and amenities. However, if you can find a 3 bedroom then the cost per person could be reduced. Rents are cheaper the farther away from Cambridge you go. The search time is subjective - right now we are in the "off season" for rentals, so inventory is down (but so are prices). High season is June-September.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013