Rentals in El Paso>Question Details

Km.kaczmarek…, Renter in El Paso, TX

How is the Horizon City area and north of there? Safe, shopping, gas, good place to raise family

Asked by Km.kaczmarek1102, El Paso, TX Wed Sep 18, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in El Paso

Answers

2
Michael Bray’s answer
About 20 years ago or so I had the opportunity to represent a builder in Horizon City. At the time it seemed so remote from the hustle and bustle of the big city of El Paso. In fact, Horizon City got it's start when retirees wanted to get away from the city so the built a golf course and surrounded it with homes. Life was good - slow and tranquil.

El Paso was growing eastward and eventually younger families began to discover the serenity of Horizon City and began to appreciate the larger home-sites and the clean fresh air. It helped that builders could deliver homes on larger lots at a 5 - 10 percent savings, if only the buyers would drive an extra 10 minutes from the growing eastside.

The transition from retirement community to a more family-oriented community took time but eventually new schools were built and shopping opportunities began to flourish along with other amenities.

I have sold homes in the El Paso/Horizon area for over 30 years and one thing that always seemed to standout to me, even 20 years ago, was the number of families walking throughout the neighborhoods, perhaps more so than other areas of town. They always seemed to have time to stop and chat and I never felt like an outsider. I have since experienced similar feelings in other neighborhoods in El Paso, but Horizon City still stands out in my mind.

I always suggest to my Buyer clients that they spend time in the neighborhoods they are considering. Take a walk around the area in the evenings and on the weekend to get a feel for the neighborhood. I suggest you try that in Horizon to see for yourself if you feel any connection. It may just surprise you!
Horizon is steadily growing. D.H Horton is slowly taking over that market. There is easy access to plenty of shopping on the East Side.